Death at a Video Store

I crouched down next to Scott peering over the edge of the video store and looking at the scene below. Jackson was yelling at some poor medic as his girlfriend, Lydia I think, sat in the back of the ambulance looking terrified.

The Alpha attacked someone else, this person happening to be the video store clerk. And as it just so happens Jackson was inside when the Alpha attacked.

My dad got out of his car and walked over to Jackson and as soon as he seen my father he started yelling and insulting him, this kid seemed to irritate me more and more every time he was around.

"Are you starting to get it?" I asked Scott. He looked over at me with confusion written on his face.

"I get that he's killing people.. but I don't get why." He said. I shrugged my shoulders not fully understanding why myself.

"This.. this isn't standard practice right?" Scott said looking between me and Derek. "We don't go out in the middle of the night murdering everyone. Do we?"

"We're predators, we don't have to be killers." Derek said from behind Scott. Whatever happened with me and Derek last night, it shifted something between us. He wasn't talking to me like he normally does, he was acting more distant than usual. What throws me off guard the most is that he won't even look at me, if he does it's only for a split second.

"Why is he a killer?" Scott asked looking back at Derek once again. I continued to look over edge seeing my brother get out of my dads car and point at the body that was being wheeled out on a stretcher.

"That's what we're gonna find out."

*******************
"You know I have a life too." Scott said as we entered the Hale house.

"No you don't." I said as I stood next to him, he looked over at me with anger and shock on his face.

"Yes I do." He said. He looked over at Derek who stopped midway up the stairs and turned to look back at Scott. "I don't care what you say about him making me his pet."

I leaned towards him and whispered. "Part of his pack."

He turned towards me and flailed his arms "whatever. I have homework to do, I have to go to a parent teacher conference tomorrow because I'm failing chemistry."

"Do you wanna do homework, or do you wanna not die." Derek said sarcastically. I rolled my eyes at him.

Scott sighed and shook his head. "You have less than a week till the full moon, if you don't kill with him he kills you." Derek explained.

"Okay seriously who made up these rules?" Scott asked flailing his arms once again.

I sighed. "It's a rite of passage into his pack." I explained looking over at him. The information seeming to fly over his head as he looked over at me.

"You know what else is a rite of passage?" He said. "Graduating High School. And you don't have to kill anyone to do it. Why can't you guys find him yourselves? Just sniff him out when he's a human."

I put my hand on my forehead feeling a headache coming on. There was so much to teach Scott but so little time to do it, plus Derek wasn't the greatest of teachers so that wasn't helping either.

"Because his human scent could be entirely different," Derek explained to Scott. "It has to be you, you have a connection with him a link that you can't understand. If I can teach you to control your senses then I can help you find him."

I leaned towards Scott once again. "I promised I'd help as much as I can." I told him sincerely, he honestly needed all the help he could get, but like I said before I'm not exactly and expert.