05 → Was it Guilt?

"What, is there something on the back of my neck?" He asked, his hand coming to rest on the spot where the tag was

"No. Now move along." Vera said, giving him a slight push as a signal to leave.

She opened the door and waited for the boy and the guard to step out.

Of course, the guard took lead and Vera and the boy followed along.

It might've been the setting, but Vera felt awkward and strange in the silence.

"It's quite rude of me to stick a needle inside of you and not even ask for your name," Vera said quietly. She needed trust.

"Eh?" The boy looked at her. "Hey, that's no problem. I don't know your name either."

"And you don't need to know," Vera replied, turning away and rubbing her arms.

"It's Newt."

Vera stopped. She knew that WCKD had changed their subject's names when they became part of the experiment.

She wondered what his original name was.

"Sir Isaac Newton." Vera mused. "How interesting."

"Yeah, I wondered why my parents even gave me that bloody name." He said, chuckling a little.

The humorous mood immediately drained when Vera got this strange feeling inside her.

Was it guilt?

No, it couldn't be.

"Miss. We're here." The guard said, stopping in front of two double doors.

Vera nodded, relieved that she didn't have to speak with the subject anymore.

She opened the door and stepped back.

"Go on," Vera said, gesturing for Newt to go inside.

He did, but not before saying, "It was nice talking to ya."

The door slammed shut with a thud.

Vera sighed and shook her head before walking to the other entrance of the exit, where Janson was waiting.

"You sure took your time." He commented with a smirk.

"Yeah, I know I did," Vera replied.

Janson's smirk didn't disappear, even when he told her what she had to do when they entered the room.

Vera nodded and waited for him to open the door.

The room was large, it reminded her of her elementary (Primary, for those of you that aren't in America) school cafeteria. Back when everything was fine. When everything was safe.

There were many cafeterias and roughly about a hundred, if not more, subjects talking to each other, but the talking ceased when Janson clapped his hands.

Suddenly, Vera found a hundred eyes gazing at her.

"Ahem. Eyes over here, please." Janson said.

Vera rolled her eyes. How vain.

"Good evening gentlemen...and ladies. I'm not sure if you have noticed, but we have many new changes today. Firstly, we have rescued a new group from WCKD. Secondly, one of my colleagues have mysteriously fallen sick and we have a replacement." He announced, first motioning to the new subjects and then motioning to Vera.

There were mumbling and whispers, but Janson continued anyways.

"You know how it works. I call your name, you come up to the front."

Janson looked down at his clipboard and said, "Talia. Finn. Raven. Lana. Tim. And Sharon."

The called subjects looked extremely happy as they walked up to the front.

Vera took a step to the side, so the girl named Sharon could fit in the line.

There were a series of groans as the last name was called.

"Now, now. If I could take all of you, you know I would. Unfortunately, that's not the case and there will always be a tomorrow." Janson said, that smirk on his face again.

The group turned to go and Vera decided to take one last look at the new subjects.

Her eyes lingered on that blonde-haired Brit again. Newt, that was his name.

She found eyes looking back at her, but it wasn't Newt's. It was someone else's.

Vera blinked and she saw that Thomas was looking at her.

Thomas.

Thank you for reading!

Edit: My A/N's will be changed and updated since I am rewriting this after all.

I hope that I made things smoother and more accurate.

Uh, now I gotta do my homework lmfao.

But I'm curious, how was your day?

Mine was okay...it was really hot though and my friends didn't want to get Starbucks with me ;-;

Makes sense. They live really far away from me and Starbucks.

< Emily >