Epilogue

"I would like to apologize

"I would like to apologize."

Vera turned around to see Ava, standing behind a large glass window. They were back in Vera's office.

"For everything. I hope you remember what it was like working here. You wanted a cure and we were going to find that. Is that not what you want anymore?" She continued.

"Of course I want a cure. But I've gone through enough to know that what you're doing is cruel." Vera spat, folding her arms across her chest impatiently.

"What if I told you we already found one? In fact, Teresa has already found one." Ava said.

Vera's eyes widened.

"You're never going to have enough of the temporary serum. You need the cure. We all do."

Suddenly Ava was gone, replaced with the Scorch. There was a woman with dusty blonde hair running towards a house and a group of Cranks chasing after her. She didn't make it and her screams would forever haunt Vera.

The same scene appeared again, this time replacing the woman was Victor.

Vera was brought to a WCKD testing room, where a dark-haired boy was yelling in pain and as she watched with tears streaming down her face, he sat up and looked at her. You did this. Vera heard.

Vera shut her eyes, hoping that was the last thing she had to see. But no, it wasn't.

This time she was in what looked like the garage of WCKD headquarters. She saw Thomas at the end of the room and relieved to see him, started to run. But something was off. Thomas was shaking his head as if he didn't want her to come any closer.

Vera turned around in circles, wondering what was wrong when she saw it.

It looked like Newt but wasn't Newt.

Vera staggered back as it came closer and closer until she couldn't back up anymore. It held up a gun and placed it in Vera's hand.

"Please, Vera, please."

Vera woke up, gasping for breath.

Let's just leave it at that, okay?

Thank you so much for reading!

< Emily >