16 → A Spoiled City Bitch

Without waiting for an answer, she walked out of the building and into the small town

It seemed more calm, even if it was probably an infected area.

There was a lot of people, Vera realized. All running hurriedly through the streets.

After a while of standing there, she realized that she had no idea was she was doing. She needed Newt's help. Thomas or the others must've told him something.

"Do you know what we're looking for?" She whispered to Newt, trying to avoid attracting attention.

"Thought you weren't talking to me." Newt said.

"I need information, not a conversation about whether following WCKD is right or not." Vera frowned.

"Still questioning my decision to trust you." Newt replied.

Vera placed her hands on his shoulder, turning him around so that he was facing her. "I said I wanted a cure, not that I'm still with WCKD. I promise you that's all I want." She said slowly. "I would kill for the cure, Yeah. But I won't kill those who helped me."

Newt sighed. "I overheard Jorge. Something about a guy. I think the shank's name is Marcus." He responded.

"So we're looking for him. Sounds shady." Vera mumbled. "And I'm curious. What's a shank?"

Newt laughed. "Just a type of slang we Gladers like to use. Don't know who bloody started it."

"You never know what you would learn in a day," Vera commented.

As they walked through the streets, Vera noticed that a crowd was gathered around a building.

Suddenly, a bright blonde-haired girl appeared in front of them with a smile.

She giggled and looked at the two of them.

"Aw, how sweet. How'd you two end up at the party? You look too innocent to be here. Bet that you're from that safe city." She said.

Vera frowned. She disliked the stranger immediately. But then she didn't really like anyone either.

"We're looking for someone," Vera replied, as coldly as possible, hoping that the girl would take the hint.

"And that is?" The girl asked, tossing her hair over her shoulder. She was answering Vera but was looking at Newt instead, starting to trail her finger up and down his arm.

"Why would you care?" Vera spat, grabbing the girl's wrist and spinning her so that she was facing her and not Newt. "I'm the one talking."

The girl giggled and said, "I might know him. I know practically everyone here. It's a small world. We have to stick together because we know that those spoiled bitches in the safe city aren't going to help us."

Vera's face darkened. "Shut up." She said, her voice lowering.

"Excuse me?" The girl's eyes were vicious, like a wolf about to strike.

"You don't know that. You don't know if they're turning their backs on the rest of the world." Vera retorted.

"Of course a spoiled bitch like you would say that." The girl turned towards Newt. "You can't possibly be with her, right? I can tell that you're not from the last city. We outsiders need to stick together."

Vera's grip on the girl's wrist tightened and her head spun. She felt a hand on her wrist and she looked up to see Newt.

"Come on, she's wasting our bloody time," Newt said flatly, but his voice held a hint of softness.

Vera wrestled out of the girl's grip and held onto Newt. "Take a fucking hint, will you?"

The girl glared at Vera and started to walk past them, but not before passing Vera, whispering, "Watch out, bitch. This world has no room for spoiled brats", and digging her nails into Vera's left forearm, leaving three long scratches on her arm.

The pain came immediately after the girl's fingernails left Vera's skin.

Letting out a scream of agony, Vera let go of Newt to put her free hand on her arm, trying to stop the bleeding.

"Vera, Vera, what did she do?" Newt asked, trying to see what happened to Vera.

Vera ignored him for a second and looked at the girl who was already walking away. She couldn't help but wonder if the girl was right. If there was no way she could survive in the outside world.

If she was just a spoiled city bitch.

Oof

Oof. My neck hurts.

I really want to take this time and thank all my readers for reading this because I'm going through some tough times right now and seeing that people are actually reading this makes my day. Honestly. So thank you. And even if you're a silent reader, thank you for being here and taking the time to read this.

I also changed my username! Again! Oof.

Sorry for the short update lol

And we're almost up to where I originally left off :D

And now, for the question of the update:

What should Vera and Newt's ship name be?

Thanks for reading!

< Emily >