18 → You Sound So...Educated

Vera opened her eyes to see that she wasn't in the "club" anymore, rather in a small living room of a home

The home looked strangely familiar. Shaking, Vera realized that it was her home. Her home before they all died.

"V, what's wrong? Damn, you look like you've seen a ghost." A voice said.

Vera stared at the floor, scared to look up. She knew that voice. She knew it. But she couldn't remember who it was.

"V?" The voice came closer and Vera's head snapped up to see a tall blonde-haired boy looking at her with concern. He looked oddly familiar. "Is it 'cause Mom isn't home yet? Don't worry, she'll be back soon." The boy continued to do what he was doing.

"No," Vera whispered when she realized who he was. "No way."

"Hm? Did you say something?" The boy asked.

"Uh, no. No, I'm all good." She replied. The boy grinned and laughed.

"When did you start talking like that? You sound so...educated." He teased.

"Oh, screw off Victor," Vera mumbled, trying hard not to cry.

"Awh, what's wrong? Did I hurt your feelings?" Victor asked, tilting his head with a smirk.

"No, it's just that you seem so real." Vera looked at her older brother, tears dripping down her cheeks. "And I know that you're dead. That you're not coming back."

Victor came over and sat down next to her. "What makes you think that?"

"I saw you die," Vera said flatly.

"Did you really? I might still be alive and out there somewhere."

"I highly doubt that. Even if you did survive that attack, there is no way the Flare didn't get you. You know I don't like false hope."

"Ah, but it didn't get you either. And you've been out in the Scorch for how long now? Months?"

"You're wrong. It did get me. Some bitch scratched me."

Victor sighed. "Well, that's okay. Besides, you don't need me anymore, do you? You already got a whole group of boys with you."

"Yeah, a whole group of boys that absolutely despise me," Vera grumbled.

"Nope. Not all. Take a closer look and you'll see that I'm right." Victor placed a hand on her shoulder to try and comfort her.

His touch felt cold, like a ghost's. Which was funny since he technically was a ghost.

"Here, take this. I have one myself, so even if we're separated, this connects us." He handed her a simple stud earring.

Vera immediately reached up to feel her ear. The earring that was there was gone. Numbly, she took the earring and slipped it in her ear. (Idk man my ears aren't pierced.)

There was an awkward silence between them before Vera muttered, "Sorry. Um, I got something to ask you."

Victor grinned. "Hey, it's no problem. What's up?"

"The ceiling," Vera replied before smiling. "Jokin'."

"Uh, so I was wondering. Did I really have a boyfriend?" Vera asked.

"Hm." Victor looked thoughtful. "I'm going to go ahead and say yes. There was this one guy who always came and visited. I can't remember his name, but he was a pretty good gamer."

Vera shoved him playfully. "Is that seriously all you care about?"

"Nope. I care about you and Mom." Victor joked.

Vera changed the mood once again. "I did have a boyfriend? Huh. So that memory of WCKD was real. WCKD did kill him. Why couldn't I remember it?"

"Use your common sense. Why else?"

"To hide something? To keep my loyalty? To keep my trust?"

"Exactly. You're probably the most loyal person I've ever met and you're literally crazy. Like, you would kill someone that wasn't on your side FOR your side. Hell, I would not want to get on your bad side."

"Okay, so I'm extremely loyal. What does that have anything to do with WCKD?"

"Damn, you're not that stupid, are you? Use your loyalty for the right side. Don't stay with the killers. No one ever wanted you to take that path."

Vera stood up, dizzy from the controversy. Victor was her brother; one of the only people she actually trusted and loved.

"I believe y-" She started but screamed in horror as a Crank came out of nowhere and tackled her brother.

Make the right decision. She heard. Find a cure. Find it the right way.

Vera sank to the floor, tears dripping down her cheeks.

The gods were cruel, giving her a nightmare like that.

Yay! Believe it or not, we're almost done with this fanfiction! I'm super excited to write the ending :D

Damn, the school year's almost over. I'm getting old. I can't believe that next year I'm graduating to high school. People say that high school's going to be a great part of your life and I hope so!

The question of the update? Yep:

What's your star sign?

Mine's Scorpio, and if you believe in cusps: Scorpio-Sagittarius.

I probably act more like a Sagittarius.

Thanks for reading!

< Emily >