22 → I'm Not Weak

Vera's eyes widened and she stepped back

"Did you hear that?" She asked and Newt nodded.

The two of them rushed outside to see a WCKD aircraft in front of the camp and rows of subjects standing in front of them.

"Oh no," Vera whispered.

They rushed to Thomas and Minho, who stared at the aircraft with shock.

"What's happeni-" Vera began but stopped as she followed their gazes and saw Teresa standing next to Janson and Ava Paige.

"Teresa? Why is she there?" Newt asked.

"She's with them." Minho spat.

"Since when?" Newt stared at Teresa, unable to believe it.

"Look, I'm sorry. But the whole point of this is to find a cure for everyone who doesn't have the gift of being immune." Teresa said, turning to Vera. "You get it, don't you?"

Vera looked at her former best friend and then at the Immunes, uncertain. Her eyes met Newt's and she took a deep breath.

"I get that you want a cure. But I don't get why you're still with WCKD. Even I'm done with them." She finally said.

"Vera, why the sudden change of heart? Just a few weeks ago you were still with us. Don't think we forgot about this." Janson said, holding up the tracker that was supposed to be dead.

Vera glared at him. "I rather die than work with someone like you."

"Ah, but be careful with your words. You know I don't like liars."

"That's rich coming from you." Vera spat.

"Calm down. We can work things out without violence." Ava said. "Vera, you don't remember...?"

Vera's face darkened. "I definitely do not remember you killing my boyfriend." She said, her voice dripping with sarcasm.

Ava sighed. "Well, I do understand. You're always welcome back at WCKD. Unfortunately, we still have to take back the subjects." She motioned to some of the guards to start checking the subjects and started to load them into the ship.

"No, stop!" A female voice shouted.

Ava smiled sadly. "Mary. It's so nice of you to join us. I remember those days where you were still loyal."

Mary shot Ava a look that could kill before saying, "I'm in a better place now. And I will find a cure the right-" She sucked in a breath and her eyes widened before she fell onto the floor.

Vera gasped as she saw the crimson blood spread from the middle of Mary's torso to the rest of her body. Janson stood behind her, his gun raised and his finger resting on the trigger.

"Never liked her much anyway." He said.

"Mary!" Vince shouted, rushing over to the already dead woman's body. With a frustrated roar, Vince charged at Janson but was held back by WCKD guards.

Vera had just about enough.

"Are you serious?" She yelled. "You just killed an innocent woman!"

Janson chuckled. "But that's what you've been doing too."

"I had no idea that WCKD was killing non-immunes off as well!"

Teresa stepped forward and grabbed Vera's wrist. "Vera, listen. This is all going to be worth it once we find a cure, okay?"

Vera laughed flatly. "Oh, that's funny. That's really funny. That son of a bitch killed the woman who saved my life!" She shouted, breaking free of Teresa's grip and quickly snatching the gun in her friend's other hand and raising it at Janson.

"Don't make me do it." She breathed. "Don't make me shoot."

"As if you could do it! You're nothing but a useless piece of shit, waiting for other people to come along and give you something." Janson laughed. "You can't kill me. You can barely shoot me!"

Trembling, Vera's grip tightened. "I swear I will pull the trigger if you don't shut the fuck up."

Janson smirked. "Ah, I don't believe you anyway. Nothing to worry about. All talk and no action, bitch."

Vera shut her eyes. All her life, she was never capable of anything. Even when the Cranks killed her family, she did nothing about it. Even when WCKD killed her boyfriend, she didn't try hard enough. But that stops now. She wasn't going to let WCKD kill any more people.

She didn't want to watch what she had done as she pressed the trigger.

Vera heard a yell from Janson and opened her arms to see that she had shot him in the arm.

"You bitch!" He growled.

"When I say I'll do something, I mean it. I'm not weak." Vera spat.

She felt a hand on her arm and herself being pulled back harshly. "Drop the gun, please," Teresa whispered as a WCKD guard held her still.

Vera struggled to break free.

"Please. If you don't stop, one of the Gladers is going to get hurt." Teresa said.

Vera looked at Newt. Then Thomas and Minho. Aris and Frypan. Sonya and Harriet. All the people that had helped her. They couldn't die.

With a sigh, Vera dropped the gun.

Ava smiled. "Now, good." She turned to the remaining guards and starting motioning for them to load the rest of the subjects into the ship.

Vera could faintly hear an engine rumbling in the distance and knew that something was up.

"Watch out!" Jorge yelled from the car they had ridden in to get to the mountains.

The pair stopped the car and grabbed a bunch of weapons and ran towards the subjects.

Brenda tossed Vera, Thomas, Newt, and Minho a gun.

"I think you'll know how to use these," Brenda shouted as she also tossed Vera a heavy bag of what looked like mini bombs.

The real fight was going to begin.

I couldn't resist uploading again

I couldn't resist uploading again. Plus, I still don't want to do my projects.

Ooh, I'm excited! I'm thinking two chapters until I finish!

I have decided to write the sequel right afterward, so I hope you're all hyped up for that.

The question of the update: Do you like to read Imagines and Preferences or actual fanfiction?

I personally like to read both, but I read WAY more Imagines and Preferences 'cause they're short!

Thanks for reading!

< Emily >