07 → I Surrender

Janson pulled out his walkie-talkie and shouted instructions into it

Vera didn't hear what he said; she just knew that someone was escaping tonight.

"-the new group-" Janson was saying before the connection cut off.

"Shit." He cursed before quickly walking out the room.

The hallways were littered with guards, all ready to take action.

"Group A's room. Go." Vera heard Janson say as he disappeared from the room.

However, Vera stayed behind. She was certain that one of the subjects may have been hiding behind the tube.

She started walking around the area where the noise had come from and looked up. There was a vent.

So that's where they had come from. She realized. Well, it's time for me to be a cat too.

It was a struggle to get into the vents and it was even more of a struggle to trace the culprit's footprints.

Vera never knew she had claustrophobia until now.

The vents were dusty and dark. Vera regretted not bringing a flashlight with her.

Loud noises and talking drew her attention.

She crawled until she could see that she was under a bed.

However, before she could see anything else, she was grabbed from under the bed.

Vera stood face to face with a tall Asian guy who was about to hit her when an accented voice called, "Minho! Get your shank-ass over here!"

The two turned around to see Thomas, Newt, and a couple of others barricading the door.

"You? What are you doing here?" Newt asked.

"What I came here to do," Vera replied as she started to remove the clutter that blocked the door.

"Hey, what are you doing?" Newt shouted.

Thomas grabbed Vera's arm and stopped her. "You don't know who you're working for. WCKD." He said.

Vera wrestled out of his grip and looked into his eyes, disgusted.

"I know exactly who I'm working for and I don't regret it."

"So you like to take harmless people and injure them for your own purpose?" Newt said.

Vera crackled a sad smile. "You don't understand, do you? This world isn't safe anymore and we, the people, need you, the Immunes, to survive. I'll let you know that your sacrifice won't be ignored."

"We don't have time for this, we need to get the shuck out of here before WCKD gets us," Minho said, motioning to the vent.

"Sorry, but your sacrifice won't be ignored." One of the subjects said before covering Vera's mouth and dragging her into the vent.

" One of the subjects said before covering Vera's mouth and dragging her into the vent

They tumbled out into the hallway and of course, there were a bunch of guards waiting.

Thomas, Newt, and Minho started to wrestle them, trying to get their weapons.

In the end, the guards fell unconscious and Thomas snatched one of the guns up.

He pointed it at Vera and said, "You. Tell us where to go."

"No, never." Vera spat. "I'll die before I betray WCKD."

Thomas aimed the gun at Vera, his finger on the trigger.

"Where's the exit?" He shouted.

Vera didn't budge.

Thomas fired a warning shot at a running guard. "That's going to be you in the next few seconds."

Vera smiled. "You wouldn't."

Thomas fired the gun at her, but a body threw her out of the way.

It belonged to a doctor about five years older than her and as he lay there, bleeding to death, he said, "You know, I've always loved you."

Vera scrunched her face up in disgust.

"Pedophile." She muttered as she raised her hands up.

"Fine. I surrender."

Allergies are slowly killing me

I'm sorry if I don't make it.

WCKD 57 has reached 1k reads! I would like to thank all of my supporters because who knew a small girl like me would ever achieve this!

In addition to reaching 1k, WCKD 57 has been nominated for the Fiction Awards in the "Best Fanfiction Story" category by WriteAwayGirl01 and TheFangirlGlader, so thank you so very much!

I actually never even thought of this story in a contest, so that's pretty cool.

I'll try to be quick with my updates, so y'all can see something new!

Thanks for reading!

< Emily >