20 → The Tracker

Brenda looked and Jorge with uncertainty, but Jorge just nodded

Brenda then turned back to Vera and the others and whispered, "Do what they say."

Vera let out a small sigh and opened the door, getting outside with her arms up.

The rest of the group followed her and at first, there was no one, but then they heard someone shout, "Aris!"

There was rumbling in the distance, accompanied by footsteps.

The light-brown haired boy looked around wildly. He looked like he recognized the voice.

"Hey!" A different voice said.

Aris turned around to see a young girl with dark skin and a rifle slung over her back.

"Harriet?" Aris whispered, dazed. He was then turned around by another girl, with blonde hair in a braid. "Sonya?"

"You're lucky we didn't shoot your dumb ass." The blonde girl said, hugging him.

The other girl, Harriet, laughed and looked up to the higher levels of the mountain and called, "We're good, we're good!"

It was a happy reunion, but Vera felt impatient and the urge to yell at someone. Her dizziness had gotten worst since she got onto the car.

Teresa came over, looking at her.

"You're not looking so well." She commented.

"Gee, thanks. As if that wasn't obvious enough." Vera muttered in response.

They started to walk. Harriet lead the way while Sonya hung back with Aris.

The girls brought Vera's group to the top of the mountains, where there were several tents scattered around the land.

"Welcome to the Right Arm," Harriet said, turning around and starting to walk backward.

Vera looked around in curiosity. So this was the rumored Right Arm. It didn't look like anything much, just a camp full of adults and rescued subjects.

"So, can we stay?" Newt asked, but Sonya shook her head. "That's not our choice. It's our leader's. Vince's." She told him.

"Vince!" Harriet called, waving her hands to get the guy's attention.

The middle-aged man, who was talking to someone else noticed Harriet and walked over.

He looked at the group suspiciously and whispered something in Harriet's ear.

Harriet's face darkened and she said, "Sonya and I know the guy. We were in the same maze as him."

She was slow, but Vera eventually caught on. These girls. They were from Group B of the Maze Trials.

"Fine." Vince motioned to the people he was talking to earlier. They came and he said, "Check them."

Each person grabbed a group member by their arm and started to check them for guns or maybe signs of an infection.

The person who was checking Thomas froze when he got to his back.

"What the...?" Vera heard as he peered closer at the bottom of Thomas' shirt.

Oh fuck. Vera mentally cursed as she realized what the guy had found.

"Vince! We have a tracker!" The guy shouted, plucking the small red dot from Thomas' shirt and holding it up.

Vince hurried over, snatching the tracker from the guy's grip and examined it.

"Destroy it." The guy suggested, but Vince shook his head. "WCKD. WCKD would know we destroyed it."

Vince thought about what to do for a second before finally coming to a decision. He walked towards the edge of the mountain and threw the tracker.

After he was sure that it was gone, he turned back to the group.

"Now who would like to explain why that's there before I shoot?" He asked, pulling out a gun.

Slowly, the Immunes all turned to look at Vera, whose eyes widened and she took a step back.

"No, no. I don't work for them anymore. No...no.." She muttered, gasping for breath as the dizziness escalated and she collapsed to the floor.

"Her arm! It must've gotten worse." Teresa shouted, quickly pulling up Vera's sleeve. The infection was spread throughout her whole entire arm and she started to twitch uncontrollably.

Vera heard a gasp and the loading of a gun.

I lost the original on my phone :/

I don't even know if I ended that right lmao.

So I got some mood nail polish and it's kind of cool.

Question of the update: Brenda or Teresa?

Hard decision for me really, 'cause Brenda's badass asf and Teresa's just adorable. In the end, I have to go with Teresa because she gets too much hate and I love her.

Thanks for reading!

< Emily >