14 → Don't Let Go

The two were silent after that

The two were silent after that. Vera started to walk faster, her speed fueled by her anger and confusion.

She was hoping that something would kill the silence, but her wishes were ignored.

As Vera walked, she noticed that the tunnel became darker and darker, as if there was no exit and green moss started to appear on the walls.

A rat scurried out from behind a rock, causing Vera to gasp softly in surprise and stepped back.

There was a low growl and Vera's heart started to beat faster.

Her free hand came to rest on the handgun in her pocket and she tightened her grip on it each time she heard a noise.

Suddenly the growl became a roar and Vera started to fire shots as a Crank appeared from the shadows.

She tried not to look; it was disgusting and made her sick to her stomach.

Multiple Cranks followed that single one and getting the hint, Vera began to run for her life.

She didn't check back to see if Newt was still with her, and to be brutally honest, she didn't care. Why should she? He was a spoiled Immune after all. WCKD gave him protection, and by trying to end his life, he wasted it. He didn't deserve it.

Vera spotted a light at the end of the tunnel and ran faster and faster until she ran out of the tunnel and into what seemed like the ground floor of an abandoned building.

The exit was boarded up and she didn't have time to break her way out, so she decided to run up the stairs.

She went up until she felt like she couldn't run anymore and disappeared into a room.

She saw Newt come in behind her and Vera backed away, as the Cranks came in after him.

Vera looked behind her in horror as the glass beneath her started to crack from their weight and break.

Taking a deep breath, Vera stood up, trusting that the glass will hold her and walked towards the Crank before shooting it multiple times, each time a tear slipping down her cheek.

The Crank fell dead on the floor, causing the web of cracks to grow.

"Vera...don't make a shucking move," Newt said cautiously.

"Not like I can." She muttered in response.

Newt slowly made his way towards her, holding out his hand.

"Come on. You can do it." He said.

Shakily, Vera reached out and grasped it, just as the glass broke. Surprised, she let go for a moment and felt her heart race as Newt caught her hand.

"Don't let go. No matter what." Vera requested, not trusting herself.

For a few minutes, it was silent except for Vera's heavy breathing.

"Okay, I'm going to bring you up," Newt said before starting to lift her up until her feet were stable on the wooden floor.

Vera quickly snatched her hand from his grip and walked to the safety of the stairs.

She stopped when she reached the door and turned to look at Newt.

Vera walked back and made a weird expression that might've been a smile if she was feeling happy.

"Thank you."

BORING! I know! And it's so unnatural

Let's skip to the good stuff!

Well, the question of the update:

Do you think Vera will ever stop hating the Immunes?

I'm not answering this one because I want to hear your answers! Make them interesting!

Thanks for reading!

< Emily >

P.S - I'm starting an original short story on my main account shortly after I finish WCKD 57! (Don't worry, I'll still do the two other fanfictions that I have planned) Please check it out on theonlychailatte and give me your thoughts. It only has a teaser so far, but it does have a summary and a cast. Thanks!