Prologue

In book one of The Deep Blue Love Series, In Love With a Human, Scarlett Trout is a shy mermaid who's never felt like she really belongs. She has a dolphin she rescued as her only friend and has recently graduated highschool.

One day while training for one of the job options to choose from during the Choice Ceremony, being a siren, she gets captivated by a certain pirate on the ship that they're supposed to sink. Humans and mers have been sworn enemies ever since Nukpana poisened the Humans' minds with stories that the merfolk, who had always helped them, were truly evil. Scarlett, along with her mom Giana, never agreed with the killing of Humans. For some reason, the pirate that Scarlett had been intrigued by, wasn't fully hypnotized as all the other pirates. Before Scarlett even realizes, the ship is crashed and all the sirens have started to kill off the surviving pirates. Scarlett spots her pirate and drags him away to the safety of her secret island where she can walk on two legs when dry.

Once her pirate wakes up, they are undeniably attracted to each other. Over the next couple months, they fall in love. But it takes a Hurricane to make them realize that. Sirena Montgomery, the top siren, spots them together on their island and runs, or should I say, swims to tell her cousin who just happens to be the king. It was King Dane who started the Hurricane, but Scarlett's pirate, Declan, survives. They share their first kiss which causes Declan to have the ability to transform into a merman as well. We find out that they are Pairs which is when a mer and a Human are meant to be together. Their first kiss gives the Human the ability to turn into a mer every time they touch water so they can spend their lives together be it on land or sea. Their troubles are far from over when King Dane arrests Declan and tries to get him executed. He doesn't believe there can be such a thing as Pairs or ties with the Human world.

Scarlett, her dad Maverick (who is the best Warrior), and surprisingly Sirena all bust Declan out of prison. King Dane follows them and chases them all the way to the surface and into the Human world. He almost has them cornered when he finds out that he has a Pair of his own, a brunette named Lyla. They fall for each other instantly but there's one problem, Lyla has a boyfriend. Dane wins her over in the end and they share a happy beginning and get married.

Two years later, Scarlett is a representative for the Humans and there is peace between the worlds once again. Book one ends with a life changing question asked by Declan... "Will you marry me?"