Chapter 5: Men...

(Kale's POV)

"Hey." I looked up to see Cruz swimming towards me.

"Hey," I responded.

It had been a couple days since my chat with Kia and I was acting like a child about it. I had been ignoring her and pretending she didn't exist. It wasn't that easy when she was all I thought about now.

"So... is there something going on? Something about you and my sister maybe?"

"Nope," I answered quickly.

"Uh huh. So nothing's happened that's caused you to avoid Kia like the plague? Nothing happened that's caused you to turn all dark and be easily ticked off?"

"Nope."

"Nothing at all?"

"Yup. Nothing going on here," I said shrugging my shoulders.

"You're a horrible liar. Come on, give me details."

"What did you just say?"

"I said give me details. Give me some info on what's happening. Let's have a little chat about your girl drama."

"Never. Ever. Talk like that again. You sounded like a girl. Talk like that again and you'll be part of my, as you call it, 'girl drama'," I said putting air quotes around the words girl drama.

"Hey! You actually used more than one word to address me! Therefore, my plan was successful."

"You just might have more issues than me," I said patting Cruz on the back. "And one more thing, guys don't have chats. They have talks. That's one of the reason we're men, not women," I said enunciating the wo.

"Yeah yeah whatever. Let's go break something." We both swam off laughing.

***

(Kia's POV)

"I mean, he has to understand what I'm saying right? There's no way anybody can or should be able to start a relationship with what's going on now, right? I mean, I have a point... right?"

I'd been babbling to my mom about boy troubles that I'd never thought I'd have for the past couple minutes.

"Well, yes you do have a point. It would be hard to keep let alone start a relationship in the situation we're in. But I think that you could give it a try. If your relationship can last through these difficult times, then imagine what other things you guys could go through and be happy together."

"Mom I'm not making plans for the future with Kale. I mean, its Kale! Kale who I grew up with! Kale who's my brother's best friend! Kale who... Kale who will always be Kale. Not my boyfriend, but my best friend that's a guy. The guy who was like a brother to me. I don't want that to change."

Mom threw her hands up in defeat and sighed.

"Alright. Okay. You know what's best." She swam up to me a placed a kiss on my head. "Just know that no matter what happens, I will always love you and your brother."

"Thanks Mom." I smiled before she swam away to help some families.

"Aw, how sweet. The big tough girl went to her mommy about boy troubles. Aw." I rolled my eyes as I turned around to face the school's it girl.

"Wow Amanda. You still won't stop your teasing even at a time like this!" I said gesturing around me.

"But it's so fun! Consider it my way of expressing grief."

"Don't you need a heart to feel grief? Last time I checked, you'd never heard of such a word." Her gaze turned deadly. She leaned in close.

"Kale, is mine. Keep your hands off him so he won't get filthy."