Chapter 2: Family and Friends

*seventeen years later*

(Kia's POV)

"Kia! Are you doing your homework?"

"No Mom. I'm feeding it to Marine."

"Haha very funny. Finish it up and don't forget to study a bit before Lyla and Dane come over."

"I will. Call me when they get here."

"Okay. Love you."

"Love you too!" I went back to the math problem I was on and finished the worksheet. I put it in my book bag and pulled out my marine biology book. I got so caught up in it that I didn't notice my older brother Cruz sneak up on me.

"Whatcha doin?!" he screamed in my ear.

"Ah!" I screamed and instinctively smacked him across the face with my very thick biology book. He flew back off the bed and landed with a thump on the ground. His hand was holding his face.

"Ouch," he mumbled.

"What the heck Cruz! Did you forget how to knock?"

"Well I was trying to scare you but I see that backfired."

"No duh. Let me see your face," I said swimming over to him. He removed his hand from his face. One of his eyes was already turning a nice shade of purple and his nose looked messed up as did the rest of his face.

"I think you broke my nose."

"I think I broke your face. I smacked you with a six-inch thick book bro."

"Remind me never to sneak up on you again," he said trying to wiggle his nose just end up wincing in pain.

"Guests are here!" Dad called from downstairs.

"Coming!" I yelled back. I looked back at Cruz who quirked an eyebrow at me. "If Mom and Dad ask, i had nothing to do with. Your stupidity got you in a mess again."

"But you did have a lot to do with it. You did smack me across the face."

"You brought that on yourself kiddo. Our dad is a Warrior who taught us how to fight. I simply used self-defense on you."

"Fine you win. Let's go." We both swam down to meet our parents and Cruz tackled Kale to the ground. They both rough-housed around for a bit before hugging it out and slapping each other on the back. I made a gagging noise that turned their attention to me.

"That's enough bromancing for now don't you think?" I said.

"You're hilarious," Cruz said.

"Dude what happened to your face?" Kale asked Cruz.

"Your girlfriend that's what."

"She's not my girlfriend."

"Deniaaaaaal."

"We grew up together Cruz. Don't you think that would be a bit weird?"

"No. Love can conquer anything," he said in a sing-songy voice.

"Shut up. We love each other as friends."

"That's not what your diary said." I froze then regained my composure.

"Idiot I don't have a diary," I lied.

"Then what might this be?" he asked pulling out... my diary. I snatched it from him, my cheeks turning five shades of red darker. Kale chuckled.

"Kids quit chit-chatting and come in for- Cruz what happened to your face?!" Mom cried devastated.

"He/She started it!" Cruz and I both said pointing fingers at each other.