Chapter 2

Journal entry 2
I don’t think I ever really gave you my name earlier so brace yourself for the best damn name ever… MATHEW! Yup, I know, pretty damn great, huh? No need to answer that cause I already know what your answer is going to be. Besides the point, school’s out. It’s summer and I have my eye on a new target. AVERY! I know, I know… what kind of name is that…? She’s new so she doesn’t know anything. Not who I am, not who anyone else is. She’s my neighbor and it is my personal duty to make sure her summer sucks ass!!
    “MATHEW!” my dad yelled at the top of his lungs like he was shouting for someone who had just committed a crime.
    I dropped my pencil so fast and slammed by book closed right before my dad barged into my room.
    “WHAT THE FUCK DID I TELL YOU! GET YOUR LAZY ASS OUT OF YOUR ROOM AND CUT THE DAMN GRASS! YOU’RE TOO FUCKIN’ BUSY WITH YOUR OWN STUPID SHIT THAT YOU NEVER THINK OF ANYONE BUT YOURSELF!”
He walked over to me and before I could even muster out an “I’m sorry”, his hand was on the side of my face making my ears ring like the school bell had just gone off in them. I fell to the floor covering my head in fear that he might strike again but he walked out with his beer in hand and my little sister at the door.
    “Are you ok?” she said in a trembling voice.
    “I’m fine. Did he hurt you?” I ask in a worried tone.
She shook her head vigorously to let me know that she had not been touched. I sat up with a smile on my face and hugged her tightly.
    “Thank god” I said in a raspy tone under my breath.
I let her go to look at her and saw that a bruise had formed right above her eyebrow. I gently rub my thumb over the lump that had started to grow bigger by the second. “He hurt you…”. Tears started to form as one rolled down my cheek.
“He didn’t mean to…”. She stepped back.
I couldn’t find the right words to say so we just sat there a couple of minutes hugging until I heard an empty beer bottle being thrown at the wall. After that, the image of me being flung to the floor with a single hit to the face flooded my mind. I sprung up so fast, accidentally knocking my sister to the floor. I apologized quickly before running out of the room so I could go retrieve the lawn mower and start on my chore.