Chapter 15

I picked her up and headed for the front door. I couldn't stand to be in that house anymore. I was carrying her downstairs when I heard so rustling ahead. I stopped dead in my tracks. I put her down and I snuck the rest of the way down the stairs and stuck my head out. It was Avery. I didn't say anything. She was making her way through the mess of my house whilst holding her nose. She looked up and saw me staring at her. I tucked my head back around the corner and took a deep breath. Once i gathered the courage to look her in the face, I turned the corner still leaving Amy on the stairs. She stood there, her nose unplugged now. We seemed to have a stare off.

"What do you want." I said choking back my words.

"I-I heard yelling..." she said, her voice shaking with concern.

"What else did you heard" I said with a stern face.

"...Banging...O-on the walls..."

"What else?"

"The sound of grown men talking..."

"And..."

"That's all..."

I left the position I was in to go retrieve my sister.

"What are you doing?" she said concerningly.

"Leaving"

"What...?"

I didn't say another word to her. I simply walked up the stairs, grabbed Amy, and headed for the front door.

"Wait! Where are you going?!"

I didn't listen. I kept walking.

"WAIT!"

I could hear her start to run to try and catch up with me. I didn't care. I didn't speed up. I didn't look back. I kept walking until she caught up with me. I stopped and turned to face her with Amy in my arms.

"Why do you care..."

She stood there with a blank stare on her face, clearly showing that she didn't have an answer. I gave her a blank stare and turned the other way and just kept walking. She didn't move.

"...Because... I care..." she said trembling.

I turned.

"NO you don---"

"YES I DO!"

Silence filled the air and I couldn't think what to say to her response.

I set Amy down. She still refused to say anything. I slowly walked over to my neighbor... I began to cry... I hugged her...

"...Thank you..."

She hugged back.