Chapter 4

When I walked into the house, I was greeted by a horrific sight. My little sister was face down on the floor will my father standing above her with a cigarette lit in hand. What little hope I had that she might be okay when I set foot back into the house, was now gone. I rammed my whole body into the devil I was forced to called my father. He fell to the floor dropping his half smoked cigarette into my little sister's hair.
“Amy!” I cried not noticing my deadbeat, son of a bitch father, getting to his feet.
Before I knew it, my whole world had turned dark. He had punched the shit out of my face. I don’t know how long I was out for, but when I woke, my dad was nowhere to be seen and my little sister, Amy, was leaning over what felt like my lifeless body. I could see her tear stained face through my swollen right eye. The left eye was yet to open.
“How long have I been out?” I struggled to say to her shivering figure. “No more than 10 minutes…”
“New record, huh?” I said with a half-ass smile and a slight chuckle..
“It’s no joke Mathew!” she said balling up her little fist like she was about to actually do something about it.
“I can’t just sit here and watch you get hurt by him anymore… But I’m so weak… I can’t do anything to help you…”.
She was only 10 years old. I sat up and put my hand on the side of her face with the bruise that I had noticed earlier.
“There’s nothing you could do, and besides, it’s not that bad…” I said trying to reassure her. She didn’t seem to buy it. “Where is he?” I asked reluctantly.
“Out with his friends.” she said looking at the door.
“What?”
The doorbell rang.
“Go upstairs.” I said quickly.
She nodded and ran as fast as her little legs could
carry her. The doorbell rang again as if to say “I’M NOT GOING ANYWHERE TILL YOU ANSWER THIS DOOR!”. As soon as I heard her foot hit the last step, I opened the door.
“What the hell do you want?!” I said leaning in the door frame. It was the girl next door, Avery.
“I heard yelling, what is going on over here?” she said trying to look past me.
“Nothing, now go home”.
With that said I tried to close the door but her foot wouldn’t let me. She tried to push her way in but I held the door close. She’s strong for the twig like figure she has.
“Get the fuck out of my house and off of my property you psycho bitch!”
“OPEN THE GODDAMN DOOR!”
“Who the fuck do you think you are?!” After I said those few words to her, she tore her way through the door…