1

They had been here for less than a few days and already the scientists had started cutting out meals, giving them fluids through tubes and pretending not to notice how easy it was to count their ribs. 

This was a facility, dedicated to a cause unknown to most of the general public. 

A cause i was soon to be a part of as well. 

I had been put on the case today, having little to no idea what I was getting myself into.

The week before I had been babysitting and working in a café to make money, and the next day I get a knock on my door from a man I had never seen before. 

I had yet to figure out why I had been hired for the job, or where they had even gotten my information, but when the government asks you if you'd like to do a different kind of babysitting curiosity can get the best of you.

Now here I was, going from being in training to taking over for a nurse who had up and walked out the night before. 

I remember her face as she rushed through the hall, dried tears, red eyes and the look of fear, all hit me right in the gut as she pushed past in desperation. 

When I returned to my room and found the briefing folder on my desk I began to question accepting the position.

I walk stiffly down the gray halls chewing my lip and gripping the folder with white knuckles as I head to the observation room. 

The handle is cold metal in my hand, and I let my eyes linger on it before pushing the door open. 

But i'm surprised by what i see when i reach the other side. 

Men in white coats and women in pencil skirts look through the glass on the wall in front of me, glancing at computer screens and speaking in harsh tones. The air is tense as I wait for the opportunity to speak to someone, I get a few short glances but it's apparent nobody has the time to look long.

What exactly is going on here?

The door behind me suddenly knocks me forward, tripping over my laces I stumble further into the room and look quickly behind me. 

An older man with hair in every direction blinks at me curiously through large round glasses. He stares at me and the room goes silent, I jump when he lets out a sharp laugh and reaches his hand out to me. 

I take it and realize quickly he is also a scientist, a fact I had originally missed due to his coat being dirty and rumpled, and his trousers being so ill fitting. His shoes are old and falling apart, and as he pushes his large frames higher onto his nose with another laugh I see that his sleeves are too long and frayed at the edges. 

He looks homeless, and crazy to boot. 

"Dr. Trevor Wedgeworth but you can just call me Trevor. I'm assuming you are Miss Marx?" His voice is strong and playful and I find myself relaxing as I nod.

it's been a while since anyone had spoken to me with familiarity, and it was nice. 

 "You can call me Lia" He nods and leads me over to a table to the left where a few men sit, speaking intently. 

I avoid looking through the glass, refusing to acknowledge the rumors for as long as I can.

"Wedgeworth it's about time you arrived. Who is this?" The man is the only one here in a suit and from the way he holds himself I'm immediately aware of the fact that he's in charge. 

"Our new caretaker" He takes a seat and leaves me to the piercing green eyes of the man. 

"My name is Doctor Theo Mason, you may call me Mason. I assume You've read through the file?"  I nod and he continues without waiting for a response. 

 "Any questions?" 

I take a breath to steady myself before asking the question that's been on the tip of my tongue since that knock on my door. "What exactly do you mean by babysitting?"