Hey, it's nice to meet you

The distant sound of the phone ringing can be heard. It wasn't like Rantarou planned to really sleep. Was it around 10 PM? Something of the sort, he can't really recall, his eyes were a little blurry from his attempt to sleep. He took the phone and looked at the caller ID. It was an unknown number, yet it was familiar at the same time. He wondered if it was who he thought he was and why? Didn't they want to end this kind of thing? What was going on?

"Um, hello?" Rantarou asked as he pressed the pick up button.

"Oh, it's you. I'm glad.." the voice on the other line said. It was the same, soft and tender voice. Rantarou furrowed his eyebrows on what he said. So he called him on purpose?

"I-I'm sorry.. it's just that.. I wanted to thank you.. since you always ended up helping me and all.." the voice had said.

Yep, Rantarou was starting to remember. Over the past few days, many coincidences have been happening. Such as Rantaro opening the door for the boy, the boy almost losing his briefcase on the bus, Rantarou helping him pick up fallen documents, and so on. It was odd really how it kept happening and now it went to the point that the boy wanted to talk to him. It's not like Rantarou minded, it was strange but it was harmless.

"Ah, it's no problem. You're welcome anytime. Though it's a little funny how I'm always the one helping, right?" He said with a small chuckle, he only heard background noise from the other line. "Y-Yeah you can say that.." the voice responded after a while, it sounded almost like a whisper. "Anyway, how are things faring with you?" Rantarou asked. "Well, I suppose.. I-I just wanted to share my gratitude.." the boy said awkwardly. Rantarou sat up against the bed frame.

"Oh yeah, since we're talking and all, maybe we can get to know each other?" Rantarou asked. The other line went quiet once again. "W..why..?" The other voice asked hesitantly. "Well, why not? We're always bumping into each other so we might as well make ourselves familiar, you know? Besides, it's good to know the person you're calling, right?" Rantarou suggested and he swore he heard the voice squeak a little. "If it makes you comfortable, I'll introduce myself first." Rantarou offered and the line remained silent. He must be really nervous, huh? "S-sure.." the voice finally said after a small moment of pondering.
Well here goes.
"I'm Rantarou Amami. It's very nice to meet you." He said clearly into the phone. "N-nice to meet you Amami-kun.. I-I'm Shuuichi Saihara.." the voice stammered, trying his best to introduce himself as flawlessly as Rantarou did. Rantarou couldn't help but to chuckle how polite yet shy and dorky the boy on the other line was.
"It's nice to meet you Saihara. Let's hope things fare well for us, yeah? We don't need any conflict." He said casually.
"I-I hope so too.." Shuuichi responded.

The two remained silent for a moment. They didn't have much to say about themselves. Or at least anything they can think at the top of their heads. "So is sharing your gratitude your only intention?" Rantarou asked and the other line remained quiet. "Sort of.." Shuuichi replied. Rantarou noticed how hesitant he was with every response he gave. Rantarou started to feel a little guilty, he didn't want to feel like he was rushing Shuuichi or anything. "It's alright, take your time. I don't mean to be pushy." Rantarou said calmly. "N-no.. you're not being pushy, really.." Shuuichi responded and Rantarou heard shuffling in the background. "I-it's silly but I can't really sleep and I.. I guess I just wanted to talk to someone.." Shuuichi finally managed to cough up. Rantarou tried to stifle another chuckle. "Oh, I see how it is. It's alright, I've done this before." Rantarou continued to chuckle a little bit. Of course he has, Rantarou had many experiences where he had to help his sisters sleep. He even remembered how he had to read bedtime stories at one point.

"Do you want me to read you a bedtime story or something?" Rantarou said with a teasing chuckle. "No..! J-just talking is enough.." Shuuichi replied, he genuinely sounded flustered as if his own words were embarrassing him. "I kid I kid." Rantarou said with a laugh. "Truth is, I couldn't really sleep either so I guess we will sleep together- wait that sounded wrong I'm sorry." Rantarou said sheepishly as he heard a small squeak from the other side of the line. "Did I wake you..?" Shuuichi asked. He sounded guilty. "No, of course not. Like I said, I couldn't really sleep either. Don't worry yourself so much, Saihara." Rantarou reassured. It was funny how he was already talking to Shuuichi as if he knew him. "O-okay.." Shuuichi replied as he heard a deep breath, taking Rantarou's words into heart.

"Well, why don't we talk a little more about ourselves? Maybe friends? Family? What happened today? Anything that makes you comfortable." Rantarou suggested. "W-well there's not much I want to say.. sorry.." Shuuichi replied quietly and Rantarou chuckled. "It's alright, it's a first impression I can understand. Well, I'll start with myself. I didn't do much today either, I just went to school, took care of my sisters and so on." Rantarou said calmly. "Do you have any siblings, Saihara?" He then asked, maybe he can find something in common. "I'm an only child.." Shuuichi replied and Rantarou nodded. "I see, siblings are a big responsibility after all." Rantarou said then he pondered again. "Do you have a pet?" He randomly asked. "No, I'm allergic, especially to cats.. wait do you have one?" Shuuichi replied. "No, I was just wondering since you don't have siblings." Well, it was back to square one. They really didn't have much in common. Waiting speaking of someone having a pet...

"Wait a moment, he hasn't been bothering you, has he?" Rantarou suddenly asked. He honestly won't be surprised if it ends up that Kokichi was still messing with Shuuichi and was practically forcing this encounter. "He..?" Shuuichi asked confused. "You know who I'm talking about. My friend, the one who started this." Rantarou replied and the line was silent for a moment. "N-no! Not at all! I called because I wanted to talk..!" Shuuichi suddenly sounded frantic. "A-and I want to know you.. even if it's just a little because you're really kind and-" Shuuichi cut off his words with a squeak when he realized what he was saying. Rantarou chuckled again, what a dork. "I get it, I get it. You can take it easy now." Rantarou said as he tried to keep in his laughter. He heard only more shuffling noises from the other line. It sounded like Shuuichi was fidgeting under his sheets. Rantarou looked at the clock on the wall.

11:30 PM.

It was later than he expected, it was almost midnight. "Hey Saihara, maybe-" Rantarou cut himself off when he heard gentle breathing at the other line. It sounded as if Shuuichi had finally fallen asleep. Rantarou found a little comfort in hearing the other sleep so peacefully. "Well, it was nice meeting you, goodnight Saihara." He said with a soft smile as Rantarou went to lay down in his own sheets. Slowly, he slipped away into a dream, only hearing the slight winds of the outdoors and the soft and quiet breathing from the sleeping Shuuichi.