CHAPTER TWO; EVERYTHING IS NOT THE SAME

chapter two
( mermaid )

               DAYS WENT BY since Odeya's return home, an entire weekend with her family was exactly what she had needed

               DAYS WENT BY since Odeya's return home, an entire weekend with her family was exactly what she had needed. Crappy takeout, movie marathons, and catching up with her brother was what the last two days consisted of. Apparently Stiles was over Lydia though Odeya knew better, Scott was with a new girl named Kira, Coach was still the lacrosse Coach, and the cafeteria lunches were still shit. It felt nice doing such mundane things, not worrying and planning out the next full moon with Lauren, or whether Zane was going to be an asshole or not. It also felt nice not being around an ocean 24/7, like a weight had been lifted off Odeya's shoulders.

              Unfortunately it was now six-thirty at night and tomorrow was Odeya's first day back to Beacon Hills High, since her first semester of grade ten. When she'd first thought about it she wasn't worried or terrified but now that the day was coming up, butterflies were forming in her stomach. It wasn't like she didn't like the high school but the last time she had been there everything had been different, Carson was there, she was different, she was human.

              Now she'd have to deal with unknown variables, like what she'd do if some kid spilled his water on her or where she'd sit at lunch. Even if the new teachers she had would like her, she needed them to like her if she wanted to have a good Junior year.

             Looking down at her blank, bland, nails Odeya was desperate for a distraction and decided to paint them. Running to her bags she brought all three upstairs into her room that still looked the same as when she left.

      There were empty water bottles on her desk that she'd forgotten to throw away before she left, newspapers of her father's old cases spewed across it as well. Her bed wasn't made and her floor still had a small circle of pink nail polish she'd spilled when she was eight. The last time she'd been in the room she was one hundred percent human, and now that was gone forever. She would never fully be the same and that scared her. What if she wouldn't be able to have a normal high school experience now? what if Stiles found out she was different?

        Odeya pulled out a medium light gray nail polish and sat at her desk opened her phone to play some music. Then she set out to paint her nails one by one. After finishing one hand she held out her hand and watched as a bubble of water levitated and made its way toward her mouth. She looked out her shoulder to double check the door was closed and then popped the bubble into her mouth. Being a Mermaid did have some perks. Then she moved onto her other hand, jumping at the sound of a FaceTime coming from her laptop.

        "You almost gave me a heart attack!" Odeya accused as soon as she accepted the call, being careful as to not ruin her freshly painted nails.