8

My hands were shaking, and no matter how hard I try, nothing will make it stop. The ice in my soda clinks against the glass as I lift it to take a sip in the desperate hope the caffeine will clear my head. Although, it doesn't keep me from anxiously glancing at the door every thirteen seconds.

11:58. My watch reads for the third time. I have to remind myself to be patient. She's probably just running a bit late. After all, the drive from Whittemore takes at least a half hour without traffic. So I shouldn't let myself jump to conclusions.

"Hello, darling." Kol's all too familiar voice whispers from just outside my line of sight.

"Go away, Kol." I grumble as I grit my teeth. "My lessons officially start tonight. So there's no reason for you to pester me right now."

"Even if it is because I missed you?" He inquires as he slides into the booth next to me.

"Even if that were true, it's not a valid reason." I snap as I confine myself to the corner. I don't want to be near him right now. I can't risk touching him and seeing another flash.

I feel insane for the notion, but I haven't stopped trembling since last night's 'incident.' Then, when I was making breakfast this morning, I made the mistake of letting my hand brush my dad's as I gave him his coffee. That's when the flashes came. It was an overwhelming ache in my chest combined with quick images—a bar, an argument, a broken bottle, and, worst of all, blood.

It was a good thing my dad had a firm grip on the mug otherwise we both would have coffee burns, but right after that, I ran out of the room and puked. I told my dad it was probably just a stomach bug and that I would go get some medicine from the pharmacy before I ran out. I called Jade from the hallway crying and asked if she could meet me, which is what brought me here.

"What's wrong?" Kol inquires as he analyzes my face. "And you can't tell me it's nothing. I know something's up. You didn't call me 'Mikaelson' or 'Kol Mikaelson' for once."

"I don't want to talk about it." I whisper and focus on the water droplets running down the side of my glass instead of the way he's inching closer. A whimper escapes my lips when he reaches out to take my hand. "Please, don't touch me."

He recoils in a second. It's clear from the look on his face that he doesn't understand, but he listens to my request anyway. "Ace, what's wrong?"

"I don't want to see anything else." I cry as I press my fingers to my eyes as if that will erase the images that are still burned in my mind. "I don't want to get anymore flashes."

"Did you get a vision when you touched someone?" He questions, and I barely manage a nod. "Talk to me about it." There's a tenderness to his voice that I've never heard before, and I'm too caught up in the sound of his voice to notice that he's pulling my hands from my face. "Tell me about it, Ace. It might help."

I do.

I tell him everything.

For a split second, I thought Kol would laugh or look at me with confusion, but he never did. Instead, everything about him softens as his facade falls away. There's a tenderness to his eyes and actions as he gently brushes a piece of hair off my tear-stained cheeks. He doesn't have to say anything, because in that moment it all feels so clear.

Kol Mikaelson is nothing like I thought—like anyone thought. He's like me. A broken person who has spent their whole life pretending otherwise, and now, we've both found comfort in the knowledge that we're not alone, that there's someone who truly understands.

"Hey, I'm so sorry. I know I'm la—" Jade starts to say as she walks up to the booth, but her words cut short when she sees me crying and wrapped up in Kol's arms. "What's wrong? Is everything okay?" I barely manage to shake my head before the tears start streaming down my face again.

"I'll leave you two alone." Kol whispers as he moves to leave, but I stop him and invite him to stay. "Are you sure?"

"Positive." I mumble. Something about having Kol around right now helps me feel a little bit calmer. "Please, stay."

Jade pretends not to notice the exchange or that Kol keeps a hold of my hand underneath the table as she climbs into the booth. "Get me up to speed. I need to know everything."

"Well, you're going to think I'm crazy, but here it goes." I hold on to Kol's hand for dear life as I tremble. Breathing is a major chore as I try to piece together how to explain the past week to Jade. "You know all the weird supernatural stuff we're always talking about?" I question tentatively, and she nods her head. "Well, it's real. I know, because I'm a witch."

"Okay." There's a sense of unease to her voice, but there's a determination in her eyes that tells me her trust is winning over her doubts. "Go on."

The three of us sit there for the next hour as I try to work through how to help my dad, figure out my abilities, and what the 'vision' could have meant. "It could mean anything. Maybe it means your dad will accidentally cut himself by breaking a bottle."

I remain silent and try to convince myself that Jade is right. Maybe I shouldn't worry myself over it too much. "Just try to focus on learning about your magic." Jade encourages with a smile, but it fades when the alarm on her phone rings. "Crap. I have to get going. There's this stupid meeting I have to go to on campus."

"That's okay. Let me know when you get back?" I tell her with a weak smile as I slide out of the booth to hug her.

"Of course." She pulls me into a tight hug. The comforting scent of lavender fills my senses. "You're going to have to explain more about you and Kol later too."

I roll my eyes at her as we part ways. Kol looks at me with a small smile, but his eyes betray his thoughts. There's something on his mind, but I have no clue as to what it is. I tilt my head at him and wait for him to spill. "Would you like to go to dinner with me?" He questions after a long moment of silence as he takes a step closer to me.

My heart skips a beat, and I have to avoid looking at him to avoid turning crimson. A part of me knows that he's not asking about our usual meals. Still I question it anyway, "Isn't that what we do every night?"

"Yes, but this time will be different."

"Kol Mikaelson," I gasp with fake shock, "are you asking me on a date?"

Kol flexes his jaw for a second, and his brown eyes light up with amusement. "Yes, I am. I'll pick you up at 7."

"What makes you think I'll say 'yes'?" Of course, I was planning on agreeing, but the look on Kol's face was too perfect to miss. "I'll see you tonight. Don't be late."

I walk out of the grill feeling light hearted and—dare I say— happy. I take one last look over my shoulder to see a very flustered, excited Original, which only makes me smile all the more.