25

The door to the Bennett's house seemed like one of the most daunting things I had faced. Of course, I don't really need her and would walk away now, but I know that my chances of success are greatly improved with her help.

I reach out and knock on the door with a trembling hand. Rebekah already gave me her blood as a precaution, and the thought of vampire blood in my veins makes me all the more anxious. My heart thumps against my ribcage as footsteps approach the door.
It opens to reveal a smiling Mr. Bennett, who greets me with no idea of who I am or what I'm capable of. It makes a bit of me ache for the days when I didn't expect danger at the sight of every stranger. "Can I help you?" He questions with a cheerful grin.

"I hope so. I was wondering if Bonnie was here?" I question as I twist my fingers together. She's home, that much I'm sure of. Rebekah and I sat in the SUV for nearly two hours trying to build up my nerve and courage, which unravelled when we saw her arrive home. It's a terrifying task to as someone who sees you as an enemy for help.

"She is. Why don't you come in while I go get her?" He motions for me to enter, but I shake my head and decline as politely as possible. I'm sure my mom would scold me if she were here. It's rude to turn down such an invitation, but I don't want to scare Bonnie or let her think I'm here to cause trouble." Okay. Just give me a minute then." Mr. Bennett gently shuts the door, yet I can still hear his retreating footsteps and voice calling his daughter.

It feels like an eternity before the door opens back up. Bonnie's eyes widen in shock when she sees me, and I place my hand to keep the door from slamming. "Please, I'm not here to hurt you or cause trouble. Just hear me out."
The racing of my heartbeat is a startling contrast to the slow, evenness of my breaths. I have to focus on them as I release my hand and await Bonnie's decision. "If you want me to go, I will, but I had to at least try."

Her voice comes back softer than I expected, which makes me nearly jump in surprise. "Try what?"

"Ask for you help. I want to—need to— contact Kol. If nothing else than at least to say goodbye."

The door creaks on its hinges. Bonnie stands against it with an arm extended in invitation. "Come on in. We can talk about it." I make a quick glance over my shoulder to find the SUV and Bex out of sight, then without hesitation, I follow Bonnie inside. "Can I get you anything? Water? Tea?"

I shake my head; I don't want to inconvenience her any further than I am by simply being here. "No thank you. I'd rather just get down to it if that's okay."

"Of course, but I really should tell you, I don't know how much help I can be."

"Is it because you don't know how? Or are you scared of what your friends will think?" Her eyes snap to mine at the comment, which tells me I struck a nerve. "Don't worry, I won't force you to help me. I'm going to do this no matter what, but it would be nice to have some backup."

We stare at each other for a few minutes. I can see her trying to pick away at my story, looking for a trace of a lie. When she can't find any, her eyes seem to soften. It seems as though she start to take notice of my appearance for the first time.

I know what she's seeing. Because I spent a half hour staring in the mirror, looking for a trace of familiarity–of myself. Of course, it was the same face I've always known, but there's a subtle differences.

The bags under my eyes have become darker than makeup can cover. Tear tracks seem to forever mar my skin. Worst of all, are my eyes. No smile seems to reach them, and they're too red and puffy to hold any emotion for long before they become vacant. It's almost as if the hollowness in my chest is reflected in them.

"You want to bring him back." She doesn't phrase it as a question, but as a declaration of the missing piece in my story. "That's why you want to talk to him. You want to see if he knows a way back."