31

The arguing that ensued after my revelation of Silas's plan is making my head hurt. I roll my eyes as I slip out without anyone noticing. Maybe I was wrong. They can barely make a decision, at this rate, I'll be the one handling this mess by myself after all.

I pull my phone out of my pocket, and dial the phone number I know will help me reach the person who can help with this mess. I can hear the phone ringing over and over again. Maybe they won't pick up, but there's a hope that tells me one more ring.

Sure enough, she picks up. Despite the silence, I know she's there. I can hear her breathing below the quiet static. "Hi, Tess. Do you have a minute?"

"Well, I'm in the middle of something right now. Is it important?"

"Silas knows." That's the only thing I need to say. "I would get out of there while you can. He'll probably lock you in any second now."

A quick curse comes from her side of the line. "You're right. I'm stuck in here until sundown."

"What do you need me to do?" I inquire. "Should we stick to the plan?"

"Yeah. Stick with it. I'll take care of the rest." That's all I hear her say before the line cuts off. I can't help but roll my eyes as I shove my phone back in my pocket. If there's one thing I learned fairly quickly, it's that playing both sides is utterly exhausting.

Still, there's no other way for me to get what has to be done and get what I need. I would never be able to live with myself if I let Silas win, but Quetsiyah, or 'Tess' as she now insists on being called, will never agree to help me get Kol back. So, the double agent game is my best option. I play both sides for what has to be done.

I head back into the boarding house and walk straight into the center of the argument. "Okay, so—" I drag out the syllable as I piece tougher exactly how to tell them. "—don't hate me, but I called Tess."

"You what?" Elena practically screams at me. She still hates her after the wiping Stefan's memory debacle.

"Yes, because if we're going to stop this we need her help." I snap back at her. "Now, our best chance is to ask the stupid travelers for help. Unfortunately, that means you guys, because let's be honest—they hate me."

"Hmm. Maybe I should start a club." Damon whispers, until he feels an invisible hand choking him. I offer him a shrug and fake innocence. "Fine. We'll try to talk to them, but you have to stay here."

I raise my hands and plop down on the couch. "Don't worry. The only place I plan on going is to the Mikaelson's." The group seems to be satisfied with my answer, because they turn their attention away from me to focus on what they're going to do next.

...

My notes litter every inch of the desk. I've spent every second since I got back at the mansion is being spent writing down and trying to determine the validity behind what Silas told me. Piece after piece of paper is slowly filled with my rushed handwriting.
I hate myself for the glimmer of hope that emerges as the plan starts to make sense. Maybe the grief that has haunted me since Kol died really has made me snap. Because this crazy, almost nonsensical plan is actually making a bit of sense. "Please, please, let this work." I whisper to myself. "This has to work."

"Does it really, darling?" HIs voice calls from behind me.

I sigh and let my head fall against the desk. "No. Please, not now."

"What? I thought you'd be happy to see me."

"Happy?" I shout and stand up with such force that the chair topples to the floor with a clatter behind me. "Why would I happy to see another cruel hallucination of you?"
The hallucination doesn't get a chance to say anything before I go on a long pent up rampage. I rage and scream until the pressure finally seems to ease. When it's gone, there's nothing left in me.