10

My sneaker make slight crunching noises against the pavement as I walk. I keep my hands dug deeply into my pockets, and my eyes jump from one shadow to the next for any lurking dangers. Because the tug in the back of my mind tells me something is waiting for me.

I turn the corner, and the figures at the end of street make me skid to a stop. I don't recognize any of them, but the static in my palms tells me they're trouble. Unfortunately, they're blocking the sidewalk and my way past.

I change directions and try to cross to the other side of the street. Unfortunately, the creepy loners appear in front of me and once again block my path. "Where you going, sweet cheeks?" One calls out as he runs next to me.

"As far away from the smell of teenage filth and herbal aroma as possible." I force myself to bite back the fear, but it escapes when the guy grabs my wrist harshly. My phone clatters to the ground as I try to twist my arm away from him, but he holds on tightly.

"Come with us. We can show you a great time." Another one whisper far too close to me as they drag me kicking and screaming into an alley.

"Let go of me, creep." I growl through clenched teeth. The three of them just chuckle and pass around a bottle wrapped around in a brown paper bag. The alcohol creates a massive stench in their air and on their breath. I bite my tongue and wait for one of them to get close enough to hurt them and run.

"Oh, princess, relax." One of them chuckles, and I notice his eyes darken as veins and fangs appear.

"Figures, you're a vampire." I scoff. He just smiles villainously as he steps closer and leans toward my neck. My body shivers in fear, despite my attempts to stay strong and brave. 

Although, I can't ignore the strange feeling running through my veins, and when the vampire touches my skin, he reels back in pain. My muscles feel a sudden surge of energy, which allows me to break free.

Luckily, Kol had gotten far enough in showing me magic as to how to cause any supernatural creature massive pain, but I decide to test another theory first. "You just need to relax, princess." I joke as I put my hand on the first vampires shoulder, and to my surprise, it continues to cause him pain and give me power. The strangest part is when his fingers start to become grey and still.

"Stop." He begs, but a part of me is too curious to let go just yet. The veins and desiccation spread over his body rapidly, and he barely manages to whisper. "I'm sorry. Please, stop."

I can't, and I don't until it's too late.

The vampire lays there, lifeless and grey. Clearly more dead than he already was. His 'friends' run away without so much as a glance over their shoulders. I, on the other hand, remain with my feet glued to ground and hands trembling with fear and energy.

My mind doesn't even register me walking over to a corner and heaving. All it knows is that he's dead. He's gone forever, and it's all because of me.

Tears stream down my face as I run away, like a coward and criminal. I don't know where I'm heading, but I know for sure that it's as far away from that alley as I can get.

I make it another three blocks before the fates decide they can still be crueler to me. I run right into someone's chest and recoil shrieking at the touch— from the fear that I will hurt someone else. Hands grab my shoulders. Calloused fingertips brush against my arms, and I finally stop fighting when I realize who it is. "Jeremy?" My voice comes out strangled and weak.

"Lee? Is everything alright? Were you crying?" Jeremy questions as he leans down to catch my eyes. I hastily try to rub away the evidence that any tears fell, but they just keep falling.