17

My door thunks against the wall, likely putting a hole in it from the sound, as I run into the hallway and down towards the other rooms. Please, please, let them still be here . I pound on each of the doors in turn, but come up empty each time.

Everything blues in front of me, and I lean against the wall to keep from collapsing as I struggle for breathe. Now is not the time for a panic attack, Lee. My body ignores me as it continues to shake and shut down, but I force myself to shove past it.

Black spots dance across my vision as I push myself to stand back up. I stumble down the hallways and into the foyer looking for anyone to help. The entire house is empty. Every room cold, and without any sign of the Mikaelsons.

My mind races looking for a solution. How do I make sure they know what Esther is up to? Only one option comes into mind. I run back to my room in search of my phone and some clothes. All the while, I run through a checklist. First, send the recording to Kol, Rebekah, and Klaus. Second, get out of this house. I can't risk Esther realizing the truth. Third, find help in any shape. The more people that know I'm in trouble and by who, the better chance of me getting found if something happens.

I scramble through my bag, pull on shirt, with my shoes on and phone in my hand before I hear it. The soft whispering of the last two voices I want to hear right now. Panic takes a hold of my chest as I attempt to sneak past and out the door. Unfortunately, the floor creaks beneath my feet just in front of the door.

"Lee," Esther's voice calls out from behind me, and I struggle to keep my breathing steady. "Is everything alright?"

"Yeah, everything's fine. I was just heading into town to help my dad with some stuff." I force a smile on my face despite the strain it takes. My hands tremble as I try to listen to what she's saying to me. Her eyes drift down to the recorder in my hands, and I know I'm screwed. "It's my dad's. He gave it to me so I could review his writing notes."

"Well, in that case, I won't keep you any longer." Her tone is casual, but her eyes narrow at me in suspicion. I make it all the way to the door before I'm slammed back by a barrier. My nose sends fresh waves of pain across my face. "Apologies about that. There's one more thing I need to discuss with you."

"What would that be?" I question with a shaky voice as I slip the recorder in my pocket.

"Have you put any consideration into what we discussed?"

I bite my bottom lip as I consider how to reply. Now that I have a slight bit of insight into her plan, I can't help but wonder if there's a double meaning to this. On one hand, I could tell her the truth and put myself in her way; or I could lie and risk her wanting me to help.

"Yes, actually I have." I take a moment to pause and gather my courage. "I'm going to stay. I know it's dangerous, but I truly care about Kol. The thought of walking away now just doesn't feel right."

There's a long pause before Esther nods and motions for the door, which I take as my queue to leave. Unfortunately, I make it a half step before Finn's hands are tightly gripping my arms. "I was hoping you would see things properly after our conversation. My children cause nothing but destruction, and the longer you stay near them, the more you'll get hurt." Esther shakes her head as she nods to Finn. "I really didn't want it to come to this."

Finn's arms pin me against his chest as we both face Esther. "I wish it didn't come to this either." I tell her as I start to pull at the magic that comes from Finn, who releases a cry of shock as he releases me.

I take my chance and bolt for it, running like my life depends on it as Esther's frustrated cries echo after me. The woods turn into a blur as my vision tunnels, and I pause only for a moment to whisper a cloaking spell over myself.