21

By the time I drove the SUV up the street, it was about twenty minutes after Kol got there, which meant there wasn't going to be much time before someone else showed up. I park the car a few houses down, pull the key from the ignition, and slip inside the house.

Kol immediately spins around at the sound of the door opening. Mary's heart still in his hand, and she's pinned up against the wall by a couple chair legs. "Little bit dramatic, don't you think?" I question as I close the door behind me.

His eyes widen in shock, and the heart lands with a stomach-churning thump. "You shouldn't be here." Kol stutters as he looks back at me and the body suspended against the wall. "How did you—when?"

"Let's just say Klaus didn't actually think of everything." I tell him as I pick up a dated doily and toss it to him. "Come on, we better get going. They'll probably be getting here soon."

"You really think I'm just gonna leave?"

"No, but I was hoping you would." Kol smirks and nods. I sigh as I collapse onto a stiff chair. "I brought your bat. Figured you might want it in case Damon gets annoying. Also, she had terrible taste in furniture. This chair is the most uncomfortable thing I've ever sat in."

"Don't try to change the topic." Kol tells me as his voice turns cold. "How did you really get out?"

"I picked the lock on the door, obviously. I don't need magic for everything." I tell him with an eye roll. I shift uncomfortably in the chair searching for an ounce of comfort. "Plus, I figured I'd save it for now. I can run damage control and make sure things don't go too horribly."

Kol stays silent for a moment, and we both keep eye contact waiting for the other to break. I know he's going to tell me I need to leave, that this is too dangerous, a lot could go wrong, and I should leave now. Still, I made a promise to help him, and I always keep my promises.

As if he can sense the stubborn determination burrowing in my chest, he lets out a deep breath. "Fine. You can help." I do my best not to crack a smile. He always pretends to be so tough, but when it comes to me, he's all fluff. "Stand watch outside, when the come in the house, put up a barrier and meet me in here. I want to make sure they don't run until I get through to them."

"Sounds good." I push myself to my feet and take a few steps toward the door, yet something in me tells me to wait. Kol looks at me in that strange bewilderment that only rarely appears. "I'm still mad at you by the way—for locking me up, but I couldn't let you do this by yourself."

He nods. Emotions cloud over his features, but disappear just as quickly. "I can't blame you for that. I'm just trying to keep you safe, but I'm sorry." It makes me crack a half smile. That's the first time I've ever heard him apologize, and to be honest, it felt good to know that he really does acknowledge his actions and mistakes every once in a while. Plus, he didn't try to tack on an 'I love you' to smooth it all over, which is something I've had previous boyfriends do.

"I forgive you, but I need you to remember that I don't need to be locked away to be safe. Safe is a relative term for people like us. It's something we have to go out and create instead of hiding away." The words get stuck in my throat and tears start to come to my eyes. "We'll find a way to be safe, but it's going to take time and teamwork."

"You're right. I'm just not used to having someone to work with and truly help me." Kol replies with a soft smile and tentatively steps forward. He waits until I don't flinch or back away before moving any closer. "I have to admit. It's a nice change."

"It is. Isn't it?" I grin as I step into his reach. His arms wrap around my waist and hold me like I could fade away at any moment. It's a notion I can't blame him for. Lately, I've felt so untethered from reality. I find myself getting so far into my own thoughts I fear that I'll drown and never re-emerge.