Chapter 1: A Deal

I some times regret it.
Leaving my life behind, leaving my family.
It hurt. I sometimes wish I could go back and change it. Turn back the clock and change my decision. Fix the problem before it happened. But I'm content with my decision. I would not take it back. I would do it all over again.

Where do I start...
My life was not bad, nor too good. I din't have a exciting life, not to many friends, a good house, decent job, a cat.Only down side would be being 31 and single, yet life was good. I was satisfied.
I must admit though I was never completely happy. I always felt that I was missing something, that there was more to life.
Unlike me, my brother Alex was well... happy.
When he graduated about 10 years ago he went straight to an Ivy League college then went on to becoming a successful businessman, got married and now has a kid on the way. I was not envious, but just a little jealous. He seemed to have such good fortune, yet it wasn't soon after I learned why.

It was a completely normal day. A Saturday the one day I din't work, and the day my brother came to say goodbye.
I was on the coach reading a book when I heard knocking at the door. Sighing I got up and looked out the window to my surprise it was my brother. Opening up the door I was shocked at his appearance. Hair messy, tie crooked, bags under his eyes which had a wild look to them shifting left to right.

" Can...can I come in?"
I nodded making way for him to enter. He seemed paranoid and tired. I knew he was acting differently for awhile now, but I just dismissed it for his wife's pregnancy. Looking at him now I knew that was not the case.

"Alex what's going on?"

He gave me a hopeless look.
" I... I made a terrible mistake"

"I'm sure what ever it is we can fix it" I urged.

"No you don't understand I... I'm going to..." he spluttered.

"What? What's going to happen to you?"

" I'm going to die"

It was silent. Not a word was uttered for a long time. How do you respond to that? My brother looked at me. His eyes pleading for something, for me to respond.

"Your... you... need to sit down" I replied
" I'll get some tea..." I rushed to the kitchen. As I prepared the tea my mind was running though a thousand different scenarios on why my brother believed he was going to die, did he make a bad business deal,perhaps a disease?
When I returned to the living room Alex was sitting on the couch head in his hands.

"Here you go," I handed him the cup " I know it's not coffee but..."

"It's fine... thank you" he interrupted smiling up at me. "I just didn't know who to go to, dad's gone, mom has to worry about her sickness, and with the pregnancy -."

" Its okay, what do you mean your going to die? Is someone after you?" I sat down in the chair across from him.

"Yes, no, it's hard to explain you... you wouldn't believe me."

"Tell me."

"I...I made a deal."

"A deal? What kind of deal?"

"Re... remember when I was applying to colleges."

"Ya."

"And how I got into that fight, and got suspended." I nodded

He sighed "I knew. I knew that because of that stupid fight no Ivy League would except me no matter what my grades or score was, so I... I panicked."

"Alex what did you do?" I demanded. Who could he have possibly made a deal with?

"I thought it was a joke you know, wishful thinking" he stammered. "I... I made a deal with a..."