Another Snippet

A/N: hi, guys 🖤 this isn't exactly a chapter, but while writing chapter 20 I realized it was going to be the last, and since I'm not ready yet to part with this story, I decided to post this small scene I've written and loved. I'm sorry it's not a full update, but next one is going to be the last one and that's it. Although I'm not saying goodbye yet, so enjoy.

I like this version of 'Please, Please, Please, Let Me Get What I Want' more than the original. I like the changes Morriesy made on his live version.

...

Frank inhaled deeply.

He tried not to let his mind wander too much; tried to ground it to the beautiful painting reclined on the wall near the window.

The sun was unusually bright for a winter day. It was cloudy, but it would make an appearance every once and a while between the clouds, casting Gerard's studio in a warm glow. Frank really knew now why Gerard liked the room too much. It was difficult not to let creativity carry your mind away in such a place.

They had overslept that morning, Frank woke up to Diana shaking his arm and he almost had a head attack when he remembered where he was. Diana didn't seem to find it odd that he was in Gerard's bed, however. She let him make her breakfast and get her ready for school with her usual grumpiness in the morning and she kissed him on the cheek when he saw her to the door like always. He made a mental note to talk to her later. He needed to explain even if she seemed to understand. She was a child and didn't deserve to have unexplained drastic changes in her life just like that. He knew he should've done that already.

Yet another thing he needed to take care of as soon as possible. He sighed and tried to imagine a time where he didn't have to calculate every step he took. He couldn't.

He didn't wake Gerard till much later. He knew he was not going to like it, but after the night before, he had a feeling they both needed some rest. Gerard didn't even stir when Frank climbed back into bed with him, and in his sleep, he only shifted closer into his arms. Frank reached for the alarm and turned it off as quietly as he could.

When they did wake up, it was late. Gerard kissed Frank and mumbled something about Frank's showcase being that night and Frank changed the subject and told him it was still a long time till then. Gerard wouldn't buy it however, and shooed him out to get ready before he could get into the office with him. He could be pretty persuasive when all he needed to aport Frank's feeble protests was a kiss.

Frank reluctantly left him, he wanted to go to his room and do as he was told, but his feet unconsciously guided him to the open door of Gerard's studio.

The saying 'art should comfort the disturbed and disturb the comfortable,' crossed his mind as he stared at a couple of paintings placed side by side by the wall. One caught his attention and he was transfixed by its beauty and sadness. He guessed he now understood the undertones of sadness that always seemed to shine through Gerard's art, but it never became less transfixing.

The painting's strong colors stared back at him, making Frank wonder what Gerard has been thinking while painting this particular one. He hadn't seen it before, so Gerard must've painted it for himself and not a buyer. It had a dull grey background with two figures standing facing each other in the distance, their faces and expressions unclear. What was clear was their postures, hunched on themselves but still longing to each other with the way their hands were slightly reaching. Frank could tell they were walking towards each other, but a lot of things separated them, unrecognizable dark shapes, grey clouds and shadows. The painting had too much reds in it as well and it took Frank a second to realize it was blood, covering the space between the two figures and the shadows and objects between them. The longing in it was so obvious and making Frank long for the two figures to unite, even if it was only a painting, it made him feel like the figures could meet if they tried. If the chaotic and dull world around them would allow it, or if they try a little harder.