Chapter 2

CHAPTER 2

The next day at school wasn't any better. Rey just kept her head down and was looking for the next few months to fly by. She went through a week of classes and shifts before the illusive man showed up at the coffee shop again. This time, he came in with his head up and phone away.

"Large black," she said to him.

"Yes," he replied with a smirk.

She went to get his coffee ready. She was feeling ballsy and so she wrote her number on the coffee cup.

"Here," she said handing him the cup, "on me," she smiled and turned immediately back to her book. She didn't want to see his reaction. She knew he must be significantly older than her. She knew it was a long shot.

The man walked out, not taking his eyes off of her, even though she was buried in her book. There was something about her that made him feel enamored. He almost walked into the door frame staring at her. It had been a week since he had worked up the courage to come back to this shop. He only went to college around the corner, but he had been avoiding this shop since last week.

He had meant to say more this time, but he couldn't find the words. He could only stare and walk away. When he finally hit the outside air, he was finally able to breathe again. The air was just starting to turn warm again and he was excited for his upcoming graduation. He looked down at his cup and saw that the barista had left her phone number on the cup. He smiled to himself. He felt a little crazy, he could tell she was younger than him. He scurried to his apartment, it was only a block away. When he got there he shut the door and sat against it. He breathed hard, not sure what to do next.

He pulled his phone out of his pocket and stared at it. He opened his messaging app. He typed the number in slowly and double checked it 3 times.

Hi.

He waited impatiently for a response. A minute later his phone buzzed.

Large black. Hi.

He didn't know what else to say.

How's the shop? Busy?

That was dumb. He wished he was smoother than he was.

Nope. Nothing busy over here. Just studying.

So she was a student. That was finally confirmed. He had to figure out what type of student.

What are you studying for?

I have to write this essay before the end of the week or I'm definitely going to fail English.

Well that cleared nothing up. He had to figure out her age. She looked like she could be 12 or 22. He was really hoping for the latter. He was 23 and finishing his last year of a 5 year dual undergrad and masters degree in computer sciences. He would enter his PhD program at the start of next year. He had to figure out what to ask her.

So, what is your essay about? Do you need a reader? I'd be happy to look at it.

Shit. He shouldn't have offered himself like that. He felt stupid and wished he could hit an unsend button.

It's about allegory in Animal Farm. Have you ever read it?

Shit. That's a high school book. He texted back, tossed his phone, and ran a hot shower.

Yeah. In high school.