Chapter 19

Things were going really well for Rey. Her relationship with Ben was stable, her classes were great, her job was great. She can't remember a time she felt this content before. The only horrible thing that was happening was that she had Professor Hux this term. He was awful, and he seemed it have it out for her specifically. She had maintained her great grades, but he wasn't making it easy.

"Why does Hux have it out for me?" She asked Ben over dinner.

"Hux has it out for you?" Ben seemed surprised. She saw his fist clench at his side.

"Yeah, it's no big deal," she assured him, "I'm still acing his class, but he's not making it easy," she told Ben.

"What is he doing?" Ben asked, urgency in his voice and she could see the muscles in his jaw clench a little.

"Just knit picking my papers and calling on me in class a lot, more than the other students, and he loves to tell me when I'm wrong," she told Ben.

Ben was quiet for a minute, but obviously tense. "I'll kill him," Ben said, anger in his eyes.

"BEN!" Rey yelled, "You will absolutely not say anything to him, I can handle myself," Rey responded, her own anger starting to bubble up. She couldn't decide if she was happy because someone was finally willing to fight for her or incredibly pissed that he didn't think she was capable of fighting her own fight. She immediately regretted saying anything.

"I wish I hadn't said anything," she mumbled.

"Well you did!" Ben said back, louder than he meant to.

Rey got up and stormed into the bedroom. Ben got up and left the apartment, slamming the door behind him. Rey heard him go and decided she'd jump in the shower to cool off. Ben was still gone after her shower. She was starting to worry. It had been almost 45 minutes.

Ben. Come home.

I'm coming. Give me 10.

She was glad to know he'd be home soon. She felt silly for storming away and wanted to apologize. A few minutes later the door opened and Rey came out of the bedroom.

"Ben," she started. "I'm sorry I stormed off, I just felt like you were minimizing my capabilities," she said.

"Rey," he said back. "Don't worry about it, let's just go to bed," she smiled and they climbed into bed.

The next day, Rey had Hux's class. She came over prepared per usual, and sat at her typical seat in the front row. Class was odd, though. Hux didn't call on her once and would hardly look at her. She hung back after class.

"Professor Hux?" She called to him.

"My office hours are tomorrow," he called back.

"I'll be quick," she said. "Today's class was great! But it felt off," she said.

"I must say," he stopped and turned to her, "You aren't someone I figured would have your boyfriend fight your fights," he smirked at her and walked away.

Rey was seething. She stormed to Ben's office, knowing his office hours were today.

"BEN SOLO," she yelled, slamming the door behind her.

"Rey, what an unexpected pleasure," he smiled and grabbed her to embrace her. She threw his hands off of her.

"Did you or did you not talk to Hux?" She asked, tears starting to form in her eyes and visibly shaking with anger.

He sat, his smile fading, "Rey," he said.

"Did you or did you not!" she yelled.

"Yes," he answered, even keeled.

"How. Dare. You." she said through clenched teeth. She turned her back and ran away. She went back to the apartment, sobbing. She texted Finn.

Can I stay with you tonight?

Of course. What happened?

I'll tell you about it later.

Rey packed a bag of stuff and took off for her afternoon classes. She was so livid she could hardly see straight, nevermind focus on her classes. She headed to Finn's dorm room after her last class. He let her in and when she got in she started sobbing and spilled what had happened.

"Oh shit," Finn said, "That's not cool," he answered. Just then she heard a knock on Finn's door. "Oh shit," he said again, "I forgot I told Poe to come over," he said, eyes wide.

"It's fine, I'll go," Rey said.

"NO!" Finn said, opening the door and letting Poe in. "You can hang with us, right Poe?" Finn asked.

"Of course," Poe smiled at her. She re-spilled the story to him.

"What a dick," Poe said. They drank wine and watched trashy tv. Which was just was Rey needed. A few hours later, she heard her phone buzz.

Where are you?

I'm with a friend.

Come home.

No.

Rey, please.

We can talk tomorrow. I don't want to see you tonight. I'll see you for lunch tomorrow.

Rey.

She didn't respond to him after that.