Chapter 10

The pizza arrived and Rey and Ben were deciding on a movie. She had an eclectic collection, and they decided on Fast and the Furious. As the movie went on and the pizza eating subsided, Rey continued to move closer and closer to Ben. When she was close enough, Ben reached his arm out and put it around Rey and pulled her closer to him. She fit nicely in his nook. She smiled and so did he. He leaned down and kissed the top of her head. She looked up at him, wanting more. He leaned down and kissed her passionately. She reached up and grabbed the back of his head and pulled him deeper into the kiss.

She suddenly pulled away, "I'm sorry," she said.

"For what?" he asked.

"Pressuring you? Using you? Making you feel like you had to amuse me? All of this," she said, tears welling in her eyes.

His look of understanding turned into a look of rage. His lips pursed together like he was going to say something, and his fists clenched. He grabbed his jacket and left her apartment.

Rey pulled her legs into her chest and sat on her couch, she let the tears fall down her face for the better part of a half hour. She felt her phone buzz. She reached out for it.

I'm sorry I stormed out.

I'm sorry. I didn't mean to explode like that. I have a tendency to push people away. I couldn't get a read on you. I felt like I was forcing you into something with me. You must think I'm such a stupid child.

I don't think any of that. I also didn't feel forced into anything.

I feel connected to you, Ben, and it scares me.

Don't be afraid, I feel it, too.

Come back?

Don't you have school in the morning?

Yes. I do. And then I have a shift. Come get a coffee tomorrow?

Count on it.

Rey definitely fell asleep feeling happier than she had an hour ago. She felt better knowing that she wasn't forcing Ben into anything. She knew she had been the one making most of the moves and dragging Ben around all day. She was comforted by the fact that he felt their connection as well. She was having a harder time coming to terms with the fact that she was still in high school than he was. Only a month and half and that wouldn't be an issue anymore.

The next morning, she woke up, slightly confused as to where she was. When she realized she was in her own apartment, she smiled. She got up, showered, got ready, and headed out of her apartment to go to school. She was leaving the complex pretty early since she needed to chat with the front office at school. She walked out to her car and saw Ben walking to his truck. She figured she wouldn't say anything. She was still kind of embarrassed about last night.

"Rey!" she heard him yell from across the lobby. He was jogging to catch up to her. She couldn't pretend anymore.

"Ben, hi, good morning," she said, feeling the red rush to her cheeks.

"Rey," he said, slightly out of breath, he had a coffee in his hand and had obviously already been up for a while.

She smiled up at him, he was very endearing when he was chasing her and a bit frazzled.

"I couldn't wait until tonight to see you," he said, a look of vulnerability in his eyes. "I felt so stupid storming out on you last night. I at least had to see you this morning, just to say sorry for that," he said, pursing his lips together, "forgive me, please," he pleaded with her.

"I'm the one that should be asking you for forgiveness," she said to him with disbelief in her voice, "I acted immaturely and am surprised you would still even talk to me," she said, feeling tears well up in her eyes again.

"Well let's call it a wash then," he said, a smiling sneaking out of his mouth against his will, "I'll see you tonight? I'm going to come get my coffee towards the end of your shift and we can walk home together," he said, with a question in his voice.

"Sounds good, I look forward to it, Ben," she said, looking at him through the top of her eyes. She felt very childish in this moment with her backpack on heading to her high school. "Ben? Have a wonderful day," she said to him.

"Rey! One more thing," he called out, she stuck her head back out of the car and he leaned down and kissed her, "You have a good day, too."

She slid into her car, smiling all the way to school.