Chapter 3

Chapter 3

Rey didn't sleep well after her conversation with the mystical man from the coffee shop. His response indicated he was well out of high school and she felt stupid for giving her number to him in the first place. She tossed and turned all night with her phone out. She contemplated texting him like 50 times and decided against it each time. She knew it was a long shot, but she wished it had been a little closer.

She packed her school stuff and made her way to the car. It was so ridiculously early, but she agreed to cover an early morning shift at the shop before school. She was working 4-7 and then she could run to school to make her first period which started at 7:25. She opened the shop at 4:00am and knew it would be slow until at least 5:00.

She took her essay out to read through it one more time. It was a damn good essay, she thought. Writing wasn't her strong suit. She knew that. She had written and rewritten this essay 5 or 6 times now. It counted for 30% of her final grade. She was a good student and had a GPA of 3.8. She didn't want this one class to ruin her chances of a scholarship. This placement was perfect for her because she wanted to attend the local college for undergrad next year. She had applied to the 5 year program for mechanical engineering. She had been accepted pending her GPA. No one was accepted with below a 3.75 GPA.

She put her paper back in her bag as the door opened and her first customer came in.

"Good morning, what can I get for you," she said, putting her essay back into her bag.

"Large black," the voice said, not looking up from his phone.

"Oh, it's you," she answered, wishing she hadn't said anything. He probably wouldn't have looked up at all if she hadn't said anything.

He stopped dead in his tracks and looked up. They made eye contact for a quick second and she turned away to make his coffee. She was glad the order was simple because she was feeling flustered. When she turned around he was just staring at her. So intensely.

She quickly handed him his coffee just hoping he would leave.

"You're in high school," he said to her. Very matter of factly.

"Yes. I graduate in May," she said back, still averting her eyes.

"Ok," he said. He laid his $5.00 down and walked out of the shop. She watched him go. She didn't know why she was drawn to him.

He walked slowly and methodically out of the coffee shop. He was thrown off by her presence. She wasn't the opener, ever. He came into the coffee shop everyday before he started classes. She was never ever there. He wouldn't have come if he even thought she would be. But she was.

He wanted to run back and yell at her. He didn't know why. It's not like she had done anything wrong. He felt betrayed, by someone he didn't know, who hadn't lied to him. This was stupid.

Rey packed her book bag, still shaken up by his presence this morning. She stalked out of the shop, hopped in her car, and headed for school.

She had a hard time focusing on her studies that day. She passed in her essay with confidence, but she didn't hear a word her English teacher said. She was stuck in a haze that she couldn't push away. She pushed through the rest of her day and was grateful to have the afternoon off from the coffee shop.

Rey decided starting her homework would be a great distraction when she heard her phone buzz.

High school.

Yeah. I never tried to lie to you about it. What's it to you?

I know.

I'm graduating in May, too. From my 5 year program at Falcon University.

I'm starting my 5 year program there in the fall. It's a shame we'll just miss each other.

Actually, we won't. I start my PhD program here in the fall.

Rey didn't know how to reply. The conversation was at a halt. She decided she would just state what she felt.

Well, I look forward to seeing you then.