29 - Ezzelin

DRACULA INDEX_0009
>>Klatka//handwritten
<12.06.1462>

To Matthias Corvinus, the worshipful King of Hungary, be this letter taken.

We have passed nearly unscathed through unsurvivable conditions. One of your men had been stricken with a grave illness. He bravely abandon'd our camp for the sake of those remaining. It is clear that we are not alone, for the roads rise high with Ottoman forces. Keeping my mind easy and composed, I led the others to where Vlad was station'd. There was no need to do more than follow a trail of Wallachian bodies belonging to the cowardly, slain brutally by the Prince.

The line of deserters brought us to an impassable mountain, where Vlad was hiding with his fighters. The men number twenty-four thousand. There is nowhere to turn. He has vow'd to accompany me to Hungary, but urges his men to make a final charge on the Ottoman camp. His ability to manipulate gunpowder is unrivaled, but the mission will most surely fail. They plan to strike at the root and launch a clandestine attack by the light of the stars alone. I have no proper means to express my fear. God's mercy be with us.

Twelfth of June, Fourteen Hundred and Sixty-Two

Ezzelin von Klatka