38 - Ezzelin

DRACULA INDEX_0014
>>Klatka//handwritten
<18.12.1476>

To Matthias Corvinus, from your most trust'd Knight, Ezzelin von Klatka

They are collecting artifacts to hold a sort of ceremony. I believe it is not very material whether I track the particulars of such an ordeal, but I commonly found that his passions pertaining to these stone tablets are sincere. What was done by way of preparation would stagger the most harden'd mind. He orders the High Gypsy to mine for bones in small animals, to pick the bark from dying trees, and to collect the death vomit of a mountain cat. These remain but the features I had personally witnessed. A dwelling has been construct'd in the woods, wherein he has gather'd his elements and enshrined the foreign tablets in blood and fire. His private mutterings grow louder by the rising moon. I run the risk of extinguishing my own lucidity as I watch him from afar. He smiles with a great deal of ease. This mysterious number, five hundred and thirty-six, is determined to be a system of years. From my calculations, that places emphasis on the close of December in the year Two Thousand and Twelve. I may never grasp his intention on this matter, but I chose not to omit these facts, as they pertain to his state at the time.

My continued service has been requested, for many years to come. Centuries, in fact. Indeed, I do not jest. He spoke the word. I instruct'd the Son of Dracul that I am to leave when his safety is assured. I am honor'd that Vlad Tepes, the Impaler, has chosen only I to protect him, but I cannot sustain a mind of civility around such insanity. The spring will see me in Styria with my family, this I swear.

18 December 1476