55 - Mell

MELL'S NOTES BOOK
November 4, 2245
Entry #11 - Handwritten

As I wait here with the others by the pipe heap, packed with provisions, weapons, and the Scavers map, I decided to take a minute to record my thoughts on what I had just read as Oscar finishes his shift in Watchtower E before joining us.

This man, James Woislaw, was a warrior who had clearly been attacked accidentally by one of the Wampyr, a Draculesti, the militia of after-death, who I can only assume are devoted to Vlad Dracula. In fact, it reads as if the Wampyr was Dracula himself, due to the clothes he was wearing when discovered in the tent. Though I am confused about a few points. The first is that such extreme lengths were taken to amputate the hand that was bitten. And that somehow the sickness, the infection, brought on by the ritual of the stone tablets hundreds of years prior, was transferred from saliva to blood.

That tells me a lot about why the Encampers rushed Scaver Ficcin out of sight, and not the others. And yet, Woislaw was safe, having been bitten, because they replaced his severed hand with one made of gold and gears and trained him to fight.

I am intrigued also by this Holy League, which sounds to be a precursor to the Priest system that Lenny had joined, though they sound more powerful. It is clear that it takes more than weapons to defeat the Wampyr. And they are strong, stronger than man. Their grip alone is as powerful as that of a machine.

It makes me more fearful of what's to come tonight, and what we could be facing in the wasteland. I wonder if James returned safely to Silesia and his Bertha. I hope he did. That was the last of his letters. It's a shame they were not successful in destroying all the Wampyr, and I am beginning to think that more and more of this has to do with Dracula because he clearly had no problem finding new followers and sending them to systematically take out the group that had been created to hunt him down. Why the Draculesti were kept a secret is a mystery to me, though I guess it shouldn't be. We still live in secrecy today.

Bryne is watching me as I fill more pages of my Notes Book. He has yet to write anything in his book. I will probably run out of room on this one in a year's time. Bryne just sharpened my pencil with a knife that he said was blessed by Elder Priest, himself. May such prayers to the Warden of the Neverdowns bless my next passage. I won't be putting more in my Notes Book until we have safely returned from the wasteland. Here comes Oscar now.

 Here comes Oscar now