69 - Mell

"I don't think you understand," I continued. "The Chronoscope at R-13 compiled stuff from different time periods when we put new content in the drawer, and then it created something called The Dracula Index. The letters from the book we found come from the 1800s. Before it made the index, the Chronoscope started losing control. It shut everything down and said that we'd found highly valued content. That government officials were contacted. We tried to take the book back, and it locked us out. That has to mean something."

"It does." He reached into his jacket for an identical Chrono-tablet, only the screen was cracked and it was covered in scrapes and gouges. "The reason I told you that the content is encrypted to the rest of the world is because I can read portions of what you found. It is important. Very likely the letters give insight into a crucial series of events during a time when a group of people, much like yourselves, came together to stop Dracula and failed. Last night, I told you to read it. And I'm glad you came back because I want you to give it to me. I'll find out what they did and how they failed, and hopefully, I can pass that information on to someone who can use their failures for our gain. The book you discovered is important to the human race, I do not deny that. It's a weapon. But a great weapon in the wrong hands will only destroy everyone around he who tries to wield it."

"Pretty poetic for a Waster," Bryne snorted. "And yours are the right hands?"

"More than yours, kid."

"You know, we came out here hoping you would help us," I barked.

"With what? You think there is more to the story than what's already there? You're probably right. And if that's true, the books should definitely be found. Problem is, it's not a journey for fresh-faced Encampers who are frightened by their own shadow. Tell me where it is that you found them and I'll go look."

"The woman from last night. She had a traveling cart with horses and things. Our scavengers got the books from a trunk on her cart before one of them was attacked. That's why we came out here last night, hoping to search for any remaining books."

At my words, Sweeney suddenly looked different. His hard and brazen expression shifted, and he almost looked afraid. "You're saying that the woman who got the jump on you last night, she's the one who had the letters that...made the Chronoscope create the Dracula Index?"

"Yes."

Nodding, he licked his lips and took a shallow breath. "All right, I'll help you. But only because she was one of the most agile vamps I've ever faced. If she was in charge of guarding those letters, then she is important to him...if he still exists. Why she was in this part of the country, I have no idea. But now we have a big problem."

"What problem?"

"That carriage you were looking for is gone. There were others with her. A boy your age, another far younger. And an older woman with dark skin. They stole her away before I could finish the job. The infected usually stick together in groups and don't go off on their own. When they feel threatened, they move. She knows you have a Priest, and she knows I'll bring her a fair fight. No telling where she is at this point."

"She can't have gone far. There has to be a way we can find her."

"I'm good at tracking. I can locate her, but I will need your help once I spot their new camp. If what you say is right, and these books do hold answers for how we could save the wasteland, they need to be found. When I discover her carriage, I can be sure that it won't be going anywhere for a long time. Then I'll come back to your camp and light a fire on the highest hill. When you see it, meet me here with your other friends. And bring your Priest, if you can. Then we'll travel to her."

"Can I ask you something?" Bryne said as Sweeney stood and opened the door, gesturing for us to leave as soon as possible.

"What is it?"

"You've heard of Dracula before. How is it that he still lived on for centuries? Do they all live forever?"

"Yes, for a vampire, there is no end. Unless it comes from a sharpened stake. That's why there are so many infected, and so few survivors. Now go. If I'm going to find her, then I have to head out before the sun sets."

As I was leaving, he placed a hand on my arm. It was strong but careful. I turned back to him and our faces were close enough to touch. I felt a tickle in my stomach as he spoke in the clearest tone I've heard yet.

"If they find you, and there is nowhere to turn, make them hungry. Godspeed, Mell. Cross your heart and hope to die, because all else is oblivion."

As Bryne led me back to the camp, I took out the Chrono-tablet and read Ezzelin's letters aloud another time. Then I moved on to Woislaw, Morley, and the rest. I ended at the first words from Jonathan Harker. Now that we are back at R-13, with Bryne working so I could notate all that was exchanged with Jack Sweeney, I am going to ask if I can read Harker's letters aloud to him as he buries crosses into the dirt around the encampment. I need to learn more. We both do.

 We both do