11

Author's Note: Inspiration for this scene drawn from Dragon Age: Origins cinematic trailer. Recognisable dialogue comes from Dragon Age Origins.

_____  

"There is a reason I agreed to travel with you and the idiot," Sasuke admits, watching her reaction.

"I thought so," Sakura says, tone soft. No doubt she recognised long ago that if he wanted to leave them, he could have done so with ease. That she never asked him his reasons suggests she wanted to hear them from him.

He deliberates a further minute, wondering where to begin, and decides on the facts.

"Travelling with two Grey Wardens opens doors," he tells her. "I could not have entered the Circle of Magi otherwise."

"People aren't keen on the Dalish anywhere, but that's one of the harder places to get into," she agrees. "And Iwa isn't fond of outsiders either. It wasn't until I mentioned having the Warden treaties that you seemed keen on staying."

"Hm."

"You're looking for something," she determines. "Or someone."

There is a pause where they study one another, both waiting for the other to speak first. Though her face suggests innocent interest, she won't ask.

"I have a brother," he confesses at last.

It's been so long since he said those words out loud that they taste foreign on his tongue.

Surprise crosses Sakura's face, along with curiosity, but she doesn't interrupt. It's as if she senses the precariousness of this truth, perhaps even the gravity in it, but won't push him to speak of it unless he wishes it. Sasuke intends to leave the matter alone, but the unexpected relief he experiences at his own confession is disorienting.

To deceive her, even through omission, feels wrong.

"I will find him and kill him."

He can see she was not expecting this, but to her credit the only shock she displays is the infinitesimal widening of her eyes. He waits for judgement to replace curiosity, or even disgust, but the only change he detects is concern.

"Why?" she asks.

Sasuke takes a deep breath through his nose, willing his voice to stay even.

"He massacred my entire clan," he explains. "Not only did he take them from me, he spilled elven blood. We are a rare and diminishing people, and to cut short our lives, in particular amongst our own, is the greatest sin of our kind. He has to pay for it."

"By...spilling more blood?"

Her question is uncertain, as if she is trying to understand the logic for this and seek something beyond simple, petty revenge. Most people would accept such a premise without question, but she is always so damned determined to see beyond the veneer facades of her comrades.

He finds he doesn't want her to see him only as an avenger.

"Itachi is no longer considered Elvhen," Sasuke says. "He is cursed. His continued existence poisons the world around it and everyone he comes in contact with. I have a duty to my family, and to my people, to avenge our loss and remove his stain. Only then can my clan be at peace in the Beyond."

Sakura is quiet at this, thoughtful.

"If this is so important to you...why haven't you asked us to look for him while we travel?" she asks delicatly. "If stopping him is as important as you say, nine pairs of eyes are better than only one?"