15

Author's Note: Shamelessly changed the trial here, because moving a bunch of people around to find the magic pattern to make the bridge would just be boring. This was more fun for me (and hopefully you!)

_____  

When Sasuke returns to himself, he is surprised to find Kakashi standing over him. More astonishing, when the older man offers him his hand, Sasuke accepts it, allowing him to drag him to his feet.

"This is the only aid I can offer now," Kakashi explains tiredly. "I have hit my limit, it seems."

Sasuke's eyes travel across the room, carefully ignoring the familiar corpses on the floor, seeking Sakura. Though he knows the facsimile he killed was not her, he discovers a childish need to make sure she is all right.

She is, albeit in a harried condition. Naruto is bleeding from an arm that has been hacked to pieces by a rogue's switchblade. She is digging frantically through her healing kit to help him while he tries to hold his wounds closed. The human has had worse injuries, but Sasuke suspects her guilt over killing Naruto's double has her on edge. She will help him now or die trying.

"I hope there are no more challenges like this," Kakashi goes on. "Responsibility for the demise of a loved one, even given the pretence of this...it is an experience that should be avoided if possible."

There is a meaningful undertone there that seems like it's directed at him. Kakashi may not know the details of Sasuke's past, but it is clear he has suspicions.

Sasuke doesn't reply, instead pulling away from the mage and heading for the giant door of the chamber. It should be open now, but it remains stubbornly warded, forbidding blue energy radiating from it.

"I don't get it," Naruto wonders through gritted teeth as Sakura stitches the wound on his right arm together. "Why didn't it open? We defeated...uh...us."

"Once I finish here, we'll spread out," Sakura says, eyes focussed on her work. "There might be something that our...that those clones were guarding, or perhaps dropped."

"I will start looking," Kakashi volunteers, clearly intending to spare them the experience of looting the corpses of friends.

Everyone is avoiding each other's eyes, but still trying to work together. In time, perhaps the skittishness will fade. This experience will seem like a momentary dark spot, something faced and overcome. It might fuel nightmares for a few nights or offer an image that comes back to them in moments of reflection to make them shudder. But all three of them can go on knowing what they did was a matter in which they had no choice. Deeds that were more symbolism than anything else.

But to Sasuke, this trial is a reminder.

Of how easy it was for him to return to that state of mind. Of what he needs to do if he intends to return to his path and find Itachi.

This is what he must become once more.

Sakura's twin still gazes up at him in sad, silent accusation, and his throat closes again.

It is as if a switch inside of him clicks.

I will find another way, brother, Sasuke decides with a harsh certainty. I will not become this again to carry out what is right. I will find another path, my own way. I will not follow in your footsteps.

There is a loud creaking grind of stone on stone, and the door that barred them from moving forward slides open.

"Huh," Naruto says, staring at it. "I guess it needed a minute to kick in."