red as crimson | 0.01

Hello my lovely readers! Before we dive in, I just want to let everyone know that I wrote this YEARS ago when I was fifteen and have since gotten much better at writing. Please don't judge my old writing too harshly! If you find any spelling or grammar mistakes, don't hesitate to point them out. Thank you and enjoy the story.

— — —

My eyes fluttered open as I took in the loud sound of birds chirping around me, signalling the start of a new morning. A groan fell from my lips as I stretched my arms above my head to block out the harsh sunlight that attempted to penetrate my vision. I quickly rolled off the tree branch I had been sleeping on, ignoring my tense muscles and sore joints as my feet landed softly on the forest floor. Once safely on the ground, I stretched again, twisting my back until I heard the distinct crack of my spine. I sighed loudly as the pressure was relieved.

I set to work adjusting the many daggers on my belt when my stomach growled suddenly, disturbing the silence around me. I huffed in annoyance as I tried to remember the last time I had eaten a full meal. Normally I would hunt for my food, taking my time to find the perfect catch, but hunting in this area was "illegal" without a permit from the village council.

Don't misunderstand— I've probably broken more laws than I've followed— but deer and rabbits are rare occurrences in this area and I wouldn't want to take more than my share from the villagers' food supply.

With a sigh, I pulled a small leather pouch from my belt. Counting through the many coins, I was pleased to see that I still had some extra change left over from my last job. I hummed to myself as I returned the pouch to its place at my side and tightened the bow securing my mask around my face. The thin fabric clung to my nose and mouth, effectively obscuring the lower half of my face from view.

Once satisfied, I set off on the well-worn path that weaved its way through the trees, leading me to the closest village.

Before long, I found myself in a small port town looking out over the water. I was surrounded by smiling faces as people carried out their morning routines and workers bustled around on the loading docks.

I made my way through the busy town silently, keeping my eyes forward and ignoring the second glances and worried stares. It didn't bother me. As an assassin, I was used to such treatment.

As I made my way down the busy streets, I noticed an officer leaning against one of the many booths. He glared at me through squinted eyes as he swung his club on his finger, clearly trying to seem intimidating. I had to bite back a smirk at his lackluster display as I passed him. I was used to this as well— The untrusting and unwelcoming enforcer of the law. I found their confidence entertaining, albeit laughable.

"You better get out of here, Assassin," I heard him growl behind me, hitting his club into his palm for emphasis. I couldn't help the smile that broke across my lips as I raised an arm above my head, my middle finger serving as my only response. His empty threat did little to sway me from my journey.

It is easy to assume I am threatening due to the many weapons hanging on my body and the dark veil covering the lower half of my face. Not to mention the dozens of scars adorning my skin. Despite this, I'm not really a violent person. I am a Huntress. I hunt down those who harm others or take from those less fortunate. My most recent employer had hired me to track down a man who stole the taxes from a poor village. Needless to say, my skills serve to protect others, not harm them. At least, that's what I chose to believe.

I continued walking and soon passed a small pub with workers still cleaning off tables as it prepared to open for the day. The Sitting Duck? How cute, I thought to myself as I read the sign hanging above the door. My smile soon faded when I heard the sound of obnoxious, over-bearing laughter. Sitting just outside the pub was a group of men, their speech already beginning to slur as they drank their weight in liquor.