an aide | 0.02

I felt warmth pool in my chest knowing I had saved her. Another notch in my quest of atoning for my sins.

~~~

"Miss," the prince said suddenly, gaining my attention, "Would you care to tell me your name?"

"My name?" I asked, my voice rising in pitch as I repeated the question. I felt a lump in my throat as my actions suddenly weighed down on me. I had attacked the prince of Clarines and put a knife to his throat. Oh, boy. 

"Yes. I'm assuming you're an assassin." He said as his eyes traveled across my frame, noting my many weapons. The ones that were visible, at least.

"I prefer the term huntress," I said, attempting to keep up my bravado, not giving way to the panic swelling in my mind. "But yes, you are correct."

"I see. And would you mind removing your mask?"

My eyes widened in surprise. "Why?" I choked out, my voice harsher than I had intended. I could hardly remember the last time I had shown my face to anyone. My face had always remained hidden while I worked, cloaked in the dark fabric along with my past. Would anyone even recognize me after all these years? 

"I'd like to see who I am talking to," he said, watching my eyes carefully. "Of course, I would understand if you prefer to—"

"No..no," I interrupted with a sigh. "It's fine." With unsteady hands, I slowly reached up and untied the strings to my veil, pulling it down to reveal my face. I tensed when I felt the cool air brush my cheeks, suddenly feeling bare under the prince's gaze. I heard a small gasp leave the redhead beside me as she took in my appearance, scars and all. 

"You're beautiful," she said, looking at me through wide eyes. 

"Thanks?" I said, my cheeks beginning to burn as the compliment sunk in. That's a first. 

Zen cleared his throat then, an easy smile gracing his lips. 

"Thank you," he said, studying my face, taking in my full appearance for the first time. I gave him a nod before waiting for him to speak again. "Why did you help Shirayuki?"

"Oh?" My eyes narrowed. "Would you prefer I hadn't?"

My sarcasm did not go unnoticed as Shirayuki let out a chuckle at my side. 

Was I supposed to just let the man take her? To do with her as he pleased? No. I am not heartless. 

"Forgive my attitude," I said, bowing my head slightly. I smiled, easing the tension that I had caused. "Understand that I helped her because she needed it. I may be an assassin, but I would never leave someone like her behind."

His eyes widened slightly, my words surprising him. "And who would you leave behind?"

It didn't go unnoticed as my smile fell. My jaw hardened as I tilted my head to the side, trying to keep up the facade. "That's nothing you need to worry about, Highness."

His lips parted as if to say something but closed again when he heard a pained groan behind him. We all turned to see Shirayuki's kidnapper stirring,

To be honest, I had completely forgotten about him.

"W-who are you?" He asked groggily, pain lingering in his voice.

"Well, that would depend on who you're asking," the prince said, his eyes flicking to me before continuing. "Why did you kidnap Shirayuki?" he asked, authority clear in his voice. The man now known as 'Mihaya' was about to answer when he noticed me standing next to Shirayuki.

"Hey!" he said, pointing a finger in my direction. "You bitch! I'm gonna--"

Bitch? That's not very nice.

I leapt forward, startling everyone with my speed. My blade flew to his throat, cutting him off before he could finish his sentence. The Prince watched me with wide eyes. 

"Sorry, what was that? I couldn't hear you."

Mihaya tried to push me away, causing me to put more pressure behind my blade. "Ah, ah, ah. I wouldn't do that if I were you." I said tauntingly, enjoying the look of fear in his eyes. Sweat gathered on his brow as he grunted under my blade. 

"Answer my question. Why did you kidnap Shirayuki?" Zen asked again, this time louder and more aggressive. I felt Mihaya swallow thickly under my blade, his eyes dancing between the prince and I. Once satisfied with his reaction, I removed my blade from his throat, allowing him to speak.

"Shirayuki. So that's her name," he said rubbing a hand on his neck, sore from the presence of my blade. He eyed me angrily but I only smiled in return, my lips curling tauntingly. 

"Do not dare to speak her name," Zen growled, low and threatening. Mihaya only smirked in response.

"Geez, calm down. What are you, her father or something?" He asked sarcastically. I had to bite back the smirk forming on my lips. Did this man have a death wish? The prince's expression only darkened.

With further interrogation, Mihaya told us about his family's past and how this mansion had once belonged to them until they had lost all their wealth. His plan was simple. Wait for Shirayuki's hair to grow out and then sell her to the highest bidder. I couldn't hide the disgust on my face as I glared down at him. He merely shrunk under my gaze. How pitiful.

"We will take him down the mountain," Zen announced. "Then the officers can take care of him." He then turned to me. "Huntress--"

"I appreciate the formality, but you can call me Vela, Your Highness."

He smiled a genuine smile and nodded.

"Thank you, Vela. I ask that you please call me Zen in return. I would like it if you were to accompany Shirayuki and I back to the castle."

"The castle? Why? Am I to be punished?" I felt my heartbeat quicken, suddenly regretting sharing my name.

"Punished? No, no, of course not. Actually," Zen said, scratching the back of his neck, an awkward habit I had noticed, "I was going to ask you to think about working in the castle as one of my aides."

I breathed out a sigh. I was relieved until his words processed in my mind. 

Wait.

"You want me to become one of your aides?" I asked in confusion. "Why? We've only just met. You don't know anything about me."

"Perhaps," he said, an easy smile coming to his lips. "But, I know that you saved Shirayuki and I trust that you mean no harm to the crown."

A scoff fell from my lips as I crossed my arms over my chest. "You're too trusting." 

"I trust that if you had poor intentions, you would've acted on them by now. And besides, I am a remarkable judge of character."

I laughed. "Somehow, I find that hard to believe."

He sighed. "I am not asking you to make any final decisions. Merely accompany us back to the castle and we'll go from there." 

I stood my ground, not yet swayed by his words. 

"I could use someone with your skillset," he said, putting his hand out for me to take. "What do you say?"

I stared down at his hand timidly. Could I actually become the aide of a royal prince?

"Vela?" I turned to see Shirayuki, her viridescent eyes hopeful. "Will you accompany us?"

My chest tightened at her words. I wanted so badly to trust her. A girl whom I had only just met but already wanted to protect. A girl who lit up the world with her brilliant crimson hair. 

I sighed as I took Zen's hand, giving it one firm shake. Eh, what the hell? What's the worst that could happen? 

"I'll go."

~~~

A/n: So much, Vela. So much could happen...