first mission | 0.09

"I'll take you to see it sometime." Zen looked down to her and smiled.

"I'd like that."

~~~

I rubbed my eyes tiredly as I attempted to stifle my yawn. The prince had summoned me as well as Kiki and Mitsuhide to his office early this morning and I was beyond tired. I could barely keep my eyes open for more than five seconds at a time. I guess you could say I'm not really a morning person. Why can't I just go back to bed?

"Vela! Are you listening?" My thoughts were interrupted by a loud voice. I snapped my eyes open and looked up to see Zen, Mitsuhide, and Kiki staring at me with questioning eyes. I straightened my posture and cleared my throat.

"What did I miss?" Zen sighed and shook his head. What? It's not my fault I was forced out of bed before dawn.

"Try and listen this time," he said, looking back down to the map on his desk.

"Sure."

"Alright, so here's where we'll be heading," he said, pointing to the map. He pointed to a small province near the border mountains. Laxdo. "It's time for the annual inspection and it's our job to go check out the fort."

"Why are we going? Aren't routine inspections a job for the generals?" I asked.

"Usually, yes. But we're a bit worried since we haven't heard from them in a few months. I would like to check in on them in person."

"I see," said Kiki. "When do we head out?"

"Dawn, tomorrow," Zen answered firmly. He then turned to me. "And don't be late." 

"Yeah, yeah," I said rolling my eyes. "Wait. What do you mean tomorrow?" I asked, narrowing my eyes at him. "If we don't leave until tomorrow then why the hell was I dragged out of bed this early?"

Zen laughed. "You know, as one of my personal guards, you should be up this early anyway. Isn't it your sworn duty to protect me?"

I glared at him. How am I supposed to 'protect him' if I can't even keep my damned eyes open?

"Oh calm down. You can get the rest of the day off to prepare for tomorrow." 

A triumphant smile spread across my face. "Thank you, Your Highness," I said, bowing slightly before making my way to the door. Time for a nap. As I was exiting Zen's office, I heard him call out to me.

"Oh and Vela make sure you dress warm! Actually wear some clothes for once!" He called, referencing my cropped shirt. Less fabric means less restriction. 

"Whatever!" I yelled back, shutting the door behind me. I was gonna bring my cloak anyway.

On the way back to my quarters I noticed Shirayuki running around carrying stacks of various papers and bottles. I watched as she struggled to pick up a paper she had dropped. Every time she bent down to pick it up, something else fell from the never-ending pile. She let out a frustrated groan as she blew a strand of stray hair out of her eyes.

"Seems like Ryu is keeping you busy," I laughed. She gasped and looked over to see me walking in her direction.

"Oh Vela! Please do me a favor and pick up this paper," she pleaded.

"Sure thing," I laughed again before bending over to retrieve the document, briefly reading the elegant script across the top. Laxdo was written in bold letters along with the official Clarines seal next to it. "What's this for?" I asked, placing the paper securely on top of Shirayuki's pile.

"Oh, it's a request sent to the castle from Laxdo. They need an herbalist to come help out at one of their local pharmacies."

"And you've been chosen?" She nodded in response. "Wow! That's great, Red. They already have you working outside of the castle."

"I know! Isn't it exciting? I should be heading out tomorrow."

"Tomorrow? Zen, Mitsuhide, Kiki, and I are actually leaving for Laxdo tomorrow morning as well." I said casually. "Perhaps we could drop you off." 

"Really? That would be wonderful," she said, her voice full of excitement. I laughed at her enthusiasm.

"Alright. Be at the front gate by dawn tomorrow. I'll be sure to tell the others you will be coming along." She nodded. 

"Thank you! I'll see you tomorrow," she said before running off. I sighed before turning back in the direction of Zen's office.

I guess I won't be taking that nap after all.

~~~

The next morning I slowly trudged my way over to the front gate. Why did it have to be before dawn?

"Good morning, Vela!"

I looked up to see Shirayuki fully awake and packed, ready to go. Next to her was Mitsuhide and Kiki, along with four horses.

"Hello Shirayuki," I mumbled as I made my over to my horse. Since my becoming one of Zen's aides, I'd been given my own horse. I took the liberty of naming him Haru. I strapped my small bag to his saddle before petting his long mane.

"Isn't someone chipper this morning," Mtsuhide said mockingly. I sighed, leaning my back against Haru's side.

"Good morning to you too, Mitsuhide."

"Oh come on. Lighten up, Vela." He walked over, patting the back of shoulder, roughly. 

"Careful, Mitsuhide," Zen announced, coming towards the front gate. "We wouldn't want you to lose that arm."

Mitsuhide only laughed before turning to look at me. I shot him a warning glance that practically screamed, 'don't test me' and he immediately retracted his arm with worried eyes.

"Well look who finally decided to show up," Kiki said, as she made her way to her horse.

"Didn't you mention something about not being late?" I asked with a smirk. Zen only rolled his eyes as he mounted his horse.

"Are we just going to sit here and chat or are we going to Laxdo?" he asked, annoyed.

"My, my, someone is pushy this morning." I couldn't help but laugh as he shot me a displeased look. I quickly pulled up the hood of my cloak and secured my veil in place before giving Zen a curt nod. Kiki and Mitsuhide nodded as well signaling that they were ready.

"Alright," he announced, getting everyone's attention. "Let's head out."

~~~

A/N: I know that Obi isn't in this chapter. Do not worry! He'll be in the next chapter and the one after that, and after that, and after that...