the court herbalist | 0.07

"I think I'll pass. I'm more mysterious this way." I gave him a wink before running off, leaving him behind. He shook his head as he watched me go.

"That you are...Little Lady."

~~~

After leaving Cat Eyes behind, I went to go find Shirayuki. I was almost certain that her court herbalist exam was today and I wanted to wish her luck. I ran through the different hallways and corridors of the castle until I found her sitting against a pillar with her nose stuck in a book. She was tapping her toe at a practically inhuman pace. She's nervous. I put on my best smile before going up to her.

"Hey there, Red!" I said in the most cheerful voice I could manage. She looked up startled by the sudden company.

"Oh! Vela hi. You startled me." She said scratching the back of her neck. I frowned at her. She really is nervous. She noticed me staring at her and cleared her throat awkwardly . "Was there something you needed Vela?"

"You have no reason to be nervous, Shirayuki. You'll be fine," I assured her. Her eyes widened.

"Why would you think I'm nervous," She asked with an awkward laugh. I gave her a soft smile. She always puts on a brave face, I admire that about her.

"Oh no reason," I said, waving my hand dismissively. "I hope your exams go well."

She gave me a warm smile. "Thank you, Vela."

Suddenly the clock tower chimed telling us it was now noon. "Oh shoot. I have to go! Wish me luck!" she yelled as she ran off towards the courtyard. I smiled as I watched her go.

You won't need it.

"Aw, Isn't that sweet," a voice suddenly said behind me. "The little redhead is quite the hard worker, isn't she?" I turned around to see Cat Eyes casually leaning against a pillar.

"Are you following me now?" I asked putting my hands to my hips.

"That depends."

"On?" I asked with a raised eyebrow. He looked down in thought and then smiled.

"On whether or not you'll tell me your name." Wow. Real smooth.

"You sure are persistent, aren't you, Cat Eyes?"

"I'm curious," he corrected while walking up to me. He stopped and looked down at me with a smile. He's a lot taller than me...

"Didn't you hear?" I asked. "Curiosity killed the cat. Better watch it or you'll be next." He raised an eyebrow.

"Is that a threat, Little Lady?" I just laughed.

"Wouldn't you like to know," I said tauntingly as I turned to walk away. I decided I would go to Zen's office and see if he could tell me anything about the herbalist exam. Before I turned the corner, I heard Cat Eyes mumble something under his breath.

"That's the second time today she's done this."

~~~

"Knock, knock!" I yelled loud enough for Zen to hear. A guard had stopped me on the way to Zen's office and asked me to give him some paperwork. Apparently "some paperwork" means a gigantic stack taller than my head. I was running into walls and swerving out of the path of guards the whole way over here. I heard the door open and then a voice laughing at me.

"Well, well, well. Looks like we have a new errand boy." I looked around the huge mess of papers to see Mitsuhide laughing at me. I glared at him and cleared my throat.