bodyguard | 0.20

So much has happened since I arrived at the castle. For the first time in years I feel almost happy.

I chuckled lightly to myself. I hope this feeling never ends.

~~~

A few days have passed since Prince Raji's departure and things around the castle have been anything but exciting. Most of my days have been spent lounging in Zen's office or sleeping in the trees. I didn't train once while Raji was here and I haven't had the energy to since he left. I sighed in annoyance as I stared at Zen's ceiling, waiting for something interesting to happen.

"You know Vela," Zen said, gaining my attention as I lay sprawled out on the sofa in his office, "if you're that bored, you could take a few days off."

I raised an eyebrow in question as I turned to the white-haired prince. "You want me to leave?"

"Of course I don't want you to leave," Zen said with a chuckle. "It was merely a suggestion."

I hummed in response, thinking on it. If I left, where would I go? The idea of suddenly going back into the woods felt incredibly lonely and I shivered at the thought.

"You should take him up on his offer," Kiki said then, bringing Zen a new stack of paperwork. "Obi couldn't wait to leave a few days ago."

I laughed. "Yeah, except he was only supposed to be gone for two days. It's been nearly a week."

Zen's eyes narrowed as he looked down at the new paperwork in his hands. "You're right actually. He should've been back by now."

"Maybe he ran into some trouble. Or fun for him I suppose," Kiki said, mumbling the last part to herself. I grinned widely at her comment.

"Who knows," Mitsuhide chimed in, joining the conversation. "Maybe Vela scared him off."

His tone was light hearted but my smile faded almost immediately. I knew what he was referencing and to be perfectly honest, I have no idea what I was thinking when I pulled that prank. I cringed inwardly at the thought of it.

Zen and Kiki looked at him in question, not understanding the subtle jab.

"Why? Did something happen?" Zen asked, turning his attention to me.

I merely sighed, wishing to ignore the subject. "Nothing of importance," I said as I rolled off the sofa. "I'm gonna go train for a bit," I said, waving a hand over my shoulder as I headed out the door, allowing it to shut loudly behind me.

Once in the hallway I heard Zen and Kiki continue to question Mitsuhide but I walked away before I could hear his answer. I was already too embarrassed.

"Damn," I hissed under my breath as I sprinted to the training grounds, trying desperately to clear my head. Why would I do that? And what about him? He almost kissed me for fucks sake!

I sighed heavily as I slowed to a stop.  When I reached the training grounds I found seven targets in a row, various holes already made in the thick canvas. I hummed to myself at the sight. I didn't know the princes did archery.

It had been years since I last used a bow but I was a skilled archer back in the day. I smirked to myself as I picked up one of the dulled arrows. "I wonder if I'm still any good."