Chapter 23

"Oh my God! It's all over her!"

Kara died laughing as Janet cringed at Emily's messy diaper, "I think the baby needs an exorcism, since it just shit a demon!"

Kara walked in with the extra diaper and handed it to Janet, "Here ya go."

"Thanks. Can I just call her little turd? Since that's all she does?"

Kara leaned over Emily as Janet finished changing her, "Did you make a nice surprise for Janet?"

Emily giggled and cackled as she looked at Kara. Janet couldn't help but laugh at her cute laugh, "She's so stinking cute! I think I want one.."

Kara crossed her arms, "Along with the non stop colic screaming. The sleepless nights, and constant worries.. Yeah, be my guest."

Janet held up Emily under her arms and smirked, "Eeehh.. Maybe later.."

Emily stared back her as she spit out bubbles down her chin. Kara laughed and rolled her eyes, "Come on peanut, time for your nap."

Janet eased an excited Emily to Kara as she kicked the air. Kara beamed as she took the baby and carried her to the crib, "Are you Mama's girl?"

Janet sighed and pursed her lips. When Kara came back she cocked a questionable brow, "What?"

"Mama's baby? Did Paul ever sign the guardianship papers?"

Kara rolled her eyes and looked down, "No, but.."

"What reason has he given you?"

Kara shrugged her shoulders, "He said that he wanted to be sure about it. Said that if I really wanted her, I would prove it?"

Janet's temper flared as she stepped towards her, "Meaning..?" Kara shook her head as she looked down. Janet had to hold her tone, "Liam or Emily?"
Kara covered her face as she cried and nodded. "Fucking bastard!"

Kara lightly grasped her arm, "Don't say anything. Please."

"Kara! This isn't just going to go away! He's going to hold this over you as long as he can or until you break!"

Kara sighed, "Well, what do I do?"

Janet pulled her to a hug, "You have to keep telling yourself that Emily is not really yours. Enjoy every moment you can, but she is not your responsibility. Use that to your advantage."

Kara held back a sniffle, "How?"

Janet smiled, "I'll make a list."

*****************

2:30 AM

Paul growled as he slipped out of bed and swayed into the nursery, "Emily..  I just fell asleep..  What do you want.."

Emily laid in her crib as she kicked with anxiousness as she waited for Paul to pick her up. He moaned as he bent over and picked up the chubby infant, "Oh man! You're soaking wet! Kara! I need your help!"

Kara was about to ease out of bed until Liam stopped her, "No ma'am.."

Kara pursed her lips as she watched her husband ease out of bed.

Paul growled as he peeled Emily's wet sleeper off of her chubby legs, "Where's your other sleepers?"

Liam strutted up behind him and plopped a fresh pair of pajamas, "Here ya go."

Paul glared over his shoulder, "Where is Kara?"

Liam rolled his eyes and crossed his arms, "Asleep..."

Paul mumbled as he pulled Emily's sleeper on, "Why didn't she get up? She gets to stay at home all day.."

Liam stood to the side of him, "Look at me.." Paul cut his eyes to him, "Gets to stay at home all day?! It's exhausting, mentality and physically. How would you like your life to revolve around a unknowingly selfish creature that needs you every hour, every day?! Feed me! Change me! Entertain me! Hold me! I'm crying just because I want to drive you crazy, because it's fun!"

Paul kept his cold glare on Liam for a moment, then turned down to a shocked Emily as her eyes cut back and forth to both men as though she waited for the outcome of their argument. Liam leaned down and stroked her little head, "It's not her fault, she didn't ask to be here." He turned his eyes to Paul, "But you made her. It's your job to take care of her. Out of love first, then responsibility."

Paul sighed as he studied his daughter, "I.. I know she's mine, but I don't know if I love her like I should."

Liam cut his sad eyes to the sweet infant as she played with her fingers and cooed, "Then sign her over, that's all you have to do."

Paul's eyes searched as he thought for an answer, "To who? You and Kara? What if she gets sick again? Then you would be talking care of her alone."

Liam stepped to him with a cold glare, "I would do it, for my niece. I'm making sure she has everything she needs now."

Paul shook his head, "Always perfect.. Must be exhausting." He picked up Emily and turned to Liam.

Liam held out his hands and Emily leaned right into his arms with a relaxed sigh. Liam kissed her head as he looked at Paul, "You have no idea."
Paul glared at his brother as he left the nursery with his happy daughter.

Kara beamed as Liam carried Emily to their bed. He smirked to her as he handed her over to Kara, and slid in beside them. Kara looked down on the infant as she yawned really big and rubbed her sleepy eyes. Liam studied Kara's smile as she watched Emily fall asleep. She turned her eyes to him and mouthed, "I love you."

Liam sighed and mouthed it back to her. The couple then easily fell into a peaceful sleep for the rest of the night as Emily slept in between them.

************
Did you like your long awaited chapter?

What will Paul do next?

Was Janet right about Kara thinking Emily wasn't really hers?