Chapter 3

"Secretary Ross has a Congressional Medal of Honor which is one more than you have." James says as he quarrels with Sam.

"So let's say we agree to this thing. How long is it gonna be before they LoJack us like a bunch of common criminals?" Sam asked. I rolled my eyes before looking at Steve who looked back at me making eye contact.

"A 117 countries want to sign this. 117, Sam, and you're just like, 'No, that's cool. We got it.'" James says and I sigh before looking at Tony. He looks to be staring into space.

"How long are you going to play both sides?" Sam asks and roll my eyes. I don't understand why that's playing both sides but whatever. I graduated school like 5 years ago.

"I have an equation." Vision says. I stare thoughtfully at Tony. He doesn't seem to notice my stare.

"Oh, this will clear it up." Sam said sarcastically.

"Sam, be polite." I say not looking away from Tony.

"In the 8 years since Mr. Stark announced himself as Iron Man, the number of known enhanced persons has grown exponentially. And during the same period, the number of potentially world-ending events has risen at a commensurate rate." Vision explains and I think about it for a second before moving my gaze away from Tony.

"Are you saying it's our fault?" Steve asks.

"I'm saying there may be a causality. Our very strength invites challenge. Challenge incites conflict. And conflict... breeds catastrophe. Oversight... Oversight is not an idea that can be dismissed out of hand." Vision said.

"Boom." James says.

"James, I am pretty sure I just criticized Sam for being rude. I think you shouldn't be rude." I said.

"I don't see how that was rude." James said.

"Because of the way that you just looked at Sam. I saw it. Stop being rude." I snapped and looked over at Tony, who seemed lost in thought. Is he paying attention? "Tony. You're being uncharacteristically non-hyperverbal."

"It's because he's already made up his mind." Steve said in a sort of rude tone.

"Steve, pretty sure that I just snapped at James for being rude." I said and my gaze moved to him and I saw him roll his eyes.

"Boy, you know me so well." He stood up and winced. "Actually, I'm nursing an electromagnetic headache. That's what's going on, Cap. It's just pain. It's discomfort. Who's putting coffee grounds in the disposal? Am I running a bed and breakfast for a biker gang?" He turned away from the sink and touches his phone a the the photo of a smiling, young man appears on a holographic screen. "Oh, that's Charles Spencer by the way. He's a great kid. Computer engineering degree, 3.6 GPA. Had a floor level gig at Intel planned for the fall. But first, he wanted to put a few miles on his soul... before he parked it behind a desk. See the world. Maybe be of service. Charlie didn't want to go to Vegas or Fort Lauderdale, which is what I would do."

I knew where this was going.

"Tony." I said in a warning tone.

"He didn't go to Paris or Amsterdam, which sounds fun. He decided to spend his summer building sustainable housing for the poor. Guess where, Sokovia." The others looked shocked at his statement. "He wanted to make a difference, I suppose. I mean, we won't know because we dropped a building on him while we were kicking ass." He takes a pill with some coffee, folds his arms and faces the others. "There's no decision-making process here. We need to be put in check! Whatever form that takes, I'm game. If we can't accept limitations, if we're boundaryless, we're no better than the bad guys."

"Tony." My tone turned to one of a bit of offense.

"Tony, someone dies on your watch, you don't give up." Steve said and I agreed.

"Who said we're giving up?" Tony asked. I'll just stay out of this one. For now.

"We are if we're not taking responsibility for our actions. This document just shifts the blames." Steve said.

"I'm sorry. Steve. That... That is dangerously arrogant. This is the United Nations we're talking about. It's not the World Security Council, it's not SHIELD, it's not HYDRA." James says.

"I mean Steve does have a valid point." I said. "But so does Tony. We can't decide this in one day. We have to think it over."

"No, but it's run by people with agendas and agendas change." Steve said.

I feel like I was completely ignored.

"That's good. That's why I'm here. When I realized what my weapons were capable of in the wrong hands, I shut it down and stop manufacturing." Tony said and his gaze moved to me. He was silently asking me to take his said.

"Tony, you chose to do that. If we sign this, we surrender our right to choose. What if this panel sends us somewhere we don't think we should go? What if there is somewhere we need to go, and they don't let us? We may not be perfect, but the safest hands are still our own." Steve says.

"If we don't do this now, it's gonna be done to us later. That's the fact. That won't be pretty." Tony says. He walks over and stands behind me. He places a hand on my shoulder. I sucked in a breath. Steve's eyes flashed to the contact.

"You're saying they'll come for me." Wanda says and looks like she's about to have an emotional break down.

"We would protect you." Vision says and my eyes flashed to his face as he held a protective expression. I think he likes her. He's the one person's mind I can't get into. His and Loki's.

"Maybe Tony's right. If we have one hand on the wheel, we can still steer. If we take it off..." Natasha said.

"Aren't you the same woman who told the government to kiss her ass a few years ago?" Sam asks. I roll my eyes. He's still on that?

"I'm just... reading the terrain. We have made some very public mistakes. We need to win their trust back." Natasha replies. She seems serious.

"Focus up. I'm sorry, did I just mishear you or did you agree with me?" Tony asks. I roll my eyes. As if he knows, he squeezes my shoulder.

"Oh, I want to take it back now." Natasha says with a smirk. I felt a smile form as the playfulness we all love came into the room.

"No, no, no. You can't retract it. Thank you. Unprecedented. Okay, case closed - I win." Tany says and I feel him lean down, his breath fanned across my neck, and a shiver ran down my spine. "Maybe if someone else were to agree with me."

Steve stares at his phone.  I leaned over so I could see his screen. What can I say? I'm a curious person.

I saw a text message that read: 'She's gone. In her sleep.'

"Steve." I warned and went to get up but a pressure was put on my shoulder pushing me down.

"I have to go." With that, Steve got up and left the complex.

"Shall we go get something to drink?" Asked Tony.

"Sure." I said. But I was distant.

I wish I could be there for him.