Chapter 9

When I got back into the room, Sharon carter had entered and handed Sam a piece of paper.

"A receipt for your gear." She said.

"'Bird costume'? Come on." He said.

I looked over his shoulder, well more around his arm because I'm shorter than him. I laughed as that was the name that they had put about his suit. When I got down to my gear my smile left my face.

"Catsuit with sticks and string on medal?" That's just cold.

"I didn't write it." Sharon said. She slyly walked over to a computer and pressed a button. The audio, that was restricted, began to play of Bucky and the evaluator.

"I'm not here to judge you. I just want to ask you a few questions. Do you know where you are, James? I can't help you if you don't talk to me, James." The evaluator said. He tried to get Bucky's attention by repeating his name but he wasn't responding.

I knew that Bucky wasn't going to respond to that name. After he had been taken by H.Y.D.R.A he hated the name James. At the moment he was taken, his name was no longer James Barnes. It was Bucky.

It was all he had left after his life was taken from him. He hated the name James. It became a the name of his nightmares. A name he wish he never had.

Hey, I knew things. I did peak inside people's minds when I was bored. Steve's was the most entertaining mind.

He always thought of the war. It made me sad when he thought of Peggy. But his times with the guys were the funniest. Especially when they got drunk.

I found Steve to be thinking less and less of the war. And more of more of his times with the avengers. With the team.

One time I caught him thinking of what I would like in a dress. I quickly covered that awkward moment quickly. When he asked about dresses I immediately turned that down.

The only time I would wear a dress would be my wedding. And that was a long time away. It got awkward and I think Steve even blushed.
I think he was trying to hint at something. But truth was, I'm awkward. Having 2 sets of memories, one that included no boys, and another where one guy was involved but that ended in me being separated from my family.

Anyway, more important matters. Bucky being questioned by an evaluator that, now that I'm thinking about it, looks awfully young to be an evaluator.

"My name is Bucky." Bucky finally said.

I looked over to Steve but his eyes were focused on the screen. On his friend.

Steve was studying the blurry photograph of the man who bombed the congress in Vienna.

"Why would the Task Force release this photo to begin with?" He asked. His eyes never leaving the screen.

"Get the word out, involve as many eyes as we can?" Sharon said in a questioning tone.

"Right. It's a good way to flush a guy out of hiding. Set off a bomb, get your picture taken. Get seven billion people looking for the Winter Soldier." Steve said. I realized something as he said. And I'm sure he realized it as well.

"You're saying someone framed him to find him." I said.

"Steve, we looked for the guy for two years and found nothing." Sam said.

"We didn't bomb the UN. That turns a lot of heads." Steve replied.

"Yeah, but that doesn't guarantee that whoever framed him would get him. It guarantees that we would." I said. My gaze fell on the evaluator in the screen, my eyes narrowed.

Steve frowns and looks around. "Yeah."

"Tell me, Bucky. You've seen a great deal, haven't you?" The evaluator says.

I don't want to talk about it." Bucky replies. He's probably traumatized for everything that he did against his will. I don't think that I would have the heart to look into his mind.

"You fear that... if you open your mouth, the horrors might never stop. Don't worry." The evaluator says in return. "We only have to talk about one."

The lights go out and the screens shut off. I look over to Steve.

"Great. Come on, guys, get me eyes on Barnes. Go." Mr. Ross says.

"FRIDAY, get me the source of that outage." Tony says to his computer.

"Sub-level 5, east wing." Sharon says. Steve, Sam and I all began to bolt to get to Bucky. We arrive outside the chamber. Red emergency lights flash all around. There are many agents slumped on the floor. All of them out cold.

"Help me. Help." A voice said.

I find the evaluator in a heap inside the chamber. "Get up." I grab the man and shove him against the wall. "Who are you? What do you want?"

"To see an empire fall." Was his reply.

As Sam begins to enter I hear a loud bang. I look up to see that Bucky buck had swung his fist which had smashed through the wall and Sam had ducked.

Bucky grabs him by the jaw and throws him at the open pod. Steve lurches into the fight and lands a punch which Bucky barely feels. Bucky kicks and punches Steve out of the chamber. A punch from Bucky goes through the elevator door. Steve blocks the next one but the power of Bucky's fist sends Steve tumbling into the darkened elevator shaft.

I ran after Bucky and tried to fight him but it was no use. We swung fists but it was mostly him and me mostly dodging.

"Bucky. Stop." I tried to say as I ducked under yet another punch. I tried to push into his mind. It was like everything was in slow motion for a bit.

It was like looking into two bottles where everything was blurry but the one thing he was focusing on. That just happened to be me.

In my thoughts of trying to figure out his mind, Bucky was able to land a punch on me. I felt it hit right in my chest.

I flew backwards hitting a stone wall. I fell to the floor in a heap. I felt the pain of the impact. Hopefully my asgardian blood would help not to break any bones. As I was on the ground, I looked deep into his mind. I lost focus on what was happening. My mind stuck on his mind.

Everything in his mind was a dark abyss. Like a dark room with no windows and a single light. A single light illuminating one single thing there was nothing there but one though.

Kill.