Chapter 5

I looked over to where T'Challa was standing. A little bit of dried blood was on the side of his head and I swallowed the lump in my throat.

I have to face my fears.

" I'm very sorry." I say and he looks over at me. My eyes glance down to his hands to see him fiddling with a silver ring.

"In my culture death is not the end. It's more of a... stepping-off point. You reach out with both hands and Bast and Sekhmet, they lead you into the green veldt where... you can run forever." He replies and I felt a small smile turn up my lips.

"That sounds very peaceful." I say in hopes of comforting him.

"My father thought so." He puts the ring on his finger. "I am not my father."

"Of course you aren't." I paused and looked down at my dust covered shoes. I tried to withstand myself but it was hard. When in anger and grief, one's thoughts are loud and hard to ignore. "T'Challa. Task force will decide who brings in Barnes."

He clenches his fist. "Don't bother, Delaney. I'll kill him myself." He begins to walk away.

"I saw it." I said and he stopped. "I saw you after the explosion. But it was before your father started his speech. That's What I do. I see tragedies before they happen and I try to stop them. I saw it and didn't act until it was too late. If you want to blame someone. Blame me." I said and held back the tears.

"You weren't the one who set off the bomb." He said and walked off.

"T'Challa!" I shouted after but he kept walking.

Damnit!

My phone begins to ring and I look down to see Steve calling.

"Yeah?" I answered.

"You alright?" He asked

"Ah, yeah, thanks. I got lucky." Frowning I look around, then stand up. "I know how much Barnes means to you. I really do. Stay home. You'll only make this worse. For all of us. Please." I was worried about Steve. And I didn't believe that it was Barnes who did it.

"Are you saying you'll arrest me?" He asked and I could hear the joke in his voice, but I could also hear the underlying seriousness in his voice.

"No. Someone will. If you interfere. That's how it works now." I said.

"If he's this far gone, Nat, I should be the one to bring him in." He said and I could tell something was off.

"Why?" I asked.

"Because I'm the one least likely to die trying." He says and ends the call.

"Shit!" I say under my breathe.

I have to find Natasha, fast.

I'll call her on the way. I turn around to see a man walking off in a blue Jacket and baseball cap on.

Steve

I quickly dial Natasha.

"Yeah?" She answers.

"I have to leave early. Have fun with the whole thing." I said and I kept walking behind Steve.

"What?" She asks.

"Keep an eye and that T'Challa guy. He seems weird." I said.

"Delaney-" I hung up the phone and tossed it into a garbage can so they couldn't track. I follow Steve into a cafe where I see him meet up with Sam.

I moved a bit closer, and tried to keep my face away, but keep my ear turned so I could hear them.

"She tell you to stay out of it?" He's also in cap and shades. "Might have a point."

"He'd do it for me." Steve said and I understood his feeling.

"1945, maybe. I just want to make sure we considered all our options. The people that shoot at you usually wind up shooting at me." Sam says and I try not my head in agreement.

A blonde woman shows up between me and Steve and me, and I move away a bit and hope she doesn't notice. I quickly glance over and recognize her as Sharon Carter.

"Tips have been pouring in since that footage went public. Everybody thinks the Winter soldier goes to their gym. Most of it's noise. Except for this." She slides Steve a file. "My boss expects a briefing, pretty much now... so that's all the head start you're gonna get."

"Thank you." Steve said.

"And you're gonna have to hurry. We have orders to shoot on sight." Sharon said and I turned to them.

"I'm coming with." I said turning around.

"Delaney!" Steve exclaimed quietly.

"I just heard everything you said. I know your mind better than you do, and I want to help because I know that Barnes didn't do it. So, you can accept my help, or I call and tell Tony." I said.

"You are such a tattle tale." Sam sighed.

"Yes I am." I said.

"If I know you, you already tossed your phone and have no way to contact Tony." Steve said.

"Well, if you look over my left shoulder, you will see that there is a perfectly good working payphone, and I have a quarter." I said and I saw his smirk drop that caused my lips to quirk in a smirk.

"Damnit, Fine. Let's go." Steve said. He grabbed my hand and pulled me towards the exit of cafe. My smirk never leaving my face. I heard Sam sigh.

"Why does she always get her way?" He asked.

"Because I'm good at it." I said and he groaned.

"No. It's because Steve likes you." he said as we moved to a car. I looked in and saw everyone's gear. Even mine.

"Well if you knew the answer, why did you ask?" I asked.

"Because I want Steve to admit it." He said and my smirk dropped. Steve tossed my my arrows and he pulled out my bow, handing it to me.

"Sorry, I don't have other clothes for you." He said as he tossed Sam his stuff.

I looked down at my Jeans and T-shirt and pursed my lips. "I Think I'm good."

"Of course you are." Sam said and rolled his eyes.

"Suit up guys. I'm gonna go over there while you change." I said and walked off with a smirk on my face.

I've gotta a good spot now. If only Tony doesn't find out, I'll be good.