Chapter Fourteen - Mentally Blocked

~*~*~*~*~*~*
November 9th
Three weeks later...
E

"Now...we're almost finished..." Bishop focused as she removed the arch bars from my jaw.

I hadn't felt any pain because the opioids were given to me around the clock. I didn't want them anymore, they tried to take me to a point where I wanted them more than being with Rachel.

I endured the pain for the last week and had taken the very last one the night before since my appointment was today.

Rachel sat next to me holding my hand. Over the weeks she took care of me.

She helped me carefully brush my teeth and then rinse with salt water after every meal to prevent infection while it healed.

The wires would sometimes cut and scrap my lips and the inside of my mouth so we got dental wax to help cover the wires. She loved applying lip gloss to my lips to keep them moisturized.

As for food...well my appetite was nowhere to be seen the first four days and Rachel had a big problem with that. I'd just continually write on the whiteboard that I really wasn't hungry.

I was still in the Master bedroom during my recovery and just laying in that bed was enough to keep me having nightmares, cold sweats and calls for more pain relief medicine when I wanted to scream and just get the anger out.

Those nights got easier when I joined Rachel on the other side of the sofa in the living room. Getting decent sleep was all I wanted. Food just didn't fit into the list at the time.

Vitamins and Nutrients made the list of priorities after the first week. By week two I had suitable meal plans for proper recovery. The two liquid supplements would help my bones heal faster so Caitlyn helped us stock up on Boost and Ensure.

Breakfast. Two bottles of chocolate Ensure, first anti-depressant pill, pain relief meds.

Thirty-two ounces of water.

Lunch. Mushroom soup through a straw.

Thirty-two ounces of water.

Dinner. Tomato soup through a straw, second anti-depressant pill, pain relief meds.

My left eye had healed but throughout my weekly appointments I was told I may experience blurred vision as the tissue healed. I was given temporary reading glasses to help with any headaches it could cause.

"...last one...and done." The small dental pliers snapped and the last bar was removed.

"Slowly move your jaw up and down. Very slowly, Elena." I carefully complied.

I was afraid to use my voice, after almost a month without it...I just felt like it was gone.

"Feel free to still use the whiteboard but when you want to speak think of yours words throughly and move slow." She explained while removing her gloves.

"How's the skull fracture?" Rachel asked, that was her biggest concern.

Bishop looked at her notes with ease.

"Usually fractures take about five to ten days to heal on their own, her recovery was twelve. Thankfully, there is no brain damage but finding her words will be tough." She gave Rachel a nod then turned back to me.

"Overthinking can cause a migraine. You have take it easy and not stress. It's going to be...a bit difficult starting this evening but-"