• Chapter 4 •

"What do you say we forget about the project for today, hm?" Killian asked once Emma had completely settled down. He rubbed her back gently.

"I think I like that a lot better than analyzing poems I will never use in my life," Emma admitted, giggling slightly. She wiped her eyes and took a seat on his bed.

But that giggle. Oh, that giggle. He could listen to it all day. It was the most glorious sound he'd ever heard.

"How about we just talk, yeah? Like friends do?" Killian suggested, bumping her shoulder with his.

And there it was again. That little giggle. He'd managed to extract it.

"We're friends...?" Emma asked with a shy smile. She looked up into his eyes.

"Aye, of course," Killian grinned.

Emma's little smile grew into a large beaming one.

For the next hour or so, the two of them simply sat on the bed and talked. They talked about so many things, so many random things they'd never thought they'd ever talk about. From fantasies to small animals to YouTube videos about giraffes, they managed to cover practically every topic in existence.

"Right, favorite color?" Killian asked, handing Emma a piece of chocolate. Her eyes lit up in delight. She hadn't had chocolate in years.

Her head had somehow made its way into Killian's lap as he sat with his back against the wall on his bed, and she lay down across it. He ran his fingers through her hair absentmindedly.

"Uh.... yellow," Emma answered, popping the sweet into her mouth.

"Really?!" Killian asked in surprise.

"Yep. Let me guess- you were expecting black?" Emma smirked.

"In all honestly, that I was," he laughed, scratching the spot behind his neck.

Emma had noticed he did that a lot. It was a quirk of his that she was sure he didn't know he did, and she loved it.

"Alright. Hmm... uh, oh- here's a good one. What's the one thing that bugs you the most?" Emma asked.

Killian thought for a minute before glancing down at her with a smirk.

"When you call me British Boy."

"Does that really bug you?" Emma asked with a shocked grin, sitting up and covering her mouth.

"Well, it may be growing on me just the slightest bit," Killian admitted, "but don't you dare take that as an invitation to continue your pestering me with that title," he said with a playful smile.

Emma grinned and lay her head backing down on his lap.

"Okay, British Boy."

Killian laughed. He was expecting that.

"You wanna stay for dinner, Swan?" Killian asked, glancing down into her eyes.

She sat up abruptly, her eyes wide.

"It's dinner time already?" Emma asked.

"Well, it's almost six now, dinner should be ready in around twenty minutes, but-"

"Oh, thank goodness," Emma sighed in relief, having feared she'd stayed past the deadline Don had set for her.

"Why? Have you got somewhere to be?" Killian asked.

"Uh.. no, I just... have to make sure I get home on time," Emma answered.

"Or...?" Killian continued.