• Chapter 14 •

Chilly mornings filled with more excitement than he could fathom and floor tiles way too cold for his bare feet. Shuffling quickly over to the fireplace with a blanket wrapped tightly around him and his little teddy bear that he couldn't sleep without for years. Liam would follow an hour later, and then his parents after another. He and Liam would exhaust their best efforts in searching for the hidden gifts, only to be caught red-handed by Alice and Brennan.

Those were the memories he missed. The memories he so wished to relive.

Those were the precious moments in his life that Killian truly appreciated. Moments like when his father would sneak downstairs and surprise him from behind, lifting him into his arms with a loving, mischievous grin. Like when he could look around him, admire the smiling faces of his family, and see happiness.

But then Liam was gone. And so was Johanna. Everything went downhill from there. Killian was all alone.

He stopped enjoying Christmas for quite some time. He didn't see the point in celebrating if the people he loved most in the world were forever gone. The only gift he wanted was to have his family back, but he knew that would never happen.

But today was different. This Christmas Day was the first one in years which brought him true happiness and excitement. He knew that was because of Emma. Killian cared about her so bloody much, he couldn't even explain it to himself. She was everything, and that was the only way he could put it.

He glanced over at her lovely features sitting beside him and shook his head with a smile. He just couldn't understand what on Earth he'd done to deserve her entry into his life, but whatever it was, he was bloody well proud of himself for doing it.

It must have been quite the deed to have received such an angel in reward.

Angel, really? Killian chided himself. He was being too cheesy for his own taste. A broad smile spread across his face as he imagined Emma telling him to shut up and hitting him on the upside of the head if she ever knew his thoughts.

"What are you smiling it?" Emma asked, eying him suspiciously as she tried to hold back a smile of her own. Killian met her eyes and shook his head with no response.

They were sitting on the bed in the basement together, gifts wrapped and hidden behind them.

They hadn't talked about the kiss yet, and it was driving Emma crazy. Had she opened up for nothing? Had her risk backfired? Did he even want to be something more with her anymore? The questions were practically burning holes in her mind, each hole making room for another question. Maybe she was just an awful kisser.

She wouldn't be surprised if she was. The only experience she had was from kindergarten when she married Johnny from the sandbox, and he divorced her the next day for Sally from the booger corner.

"Should I go first?" Emma asked nervously, suddenly feeling much less strong than she'd felt ten minutes ago when his lips were brushing against hers... his hands on her hips... holding her...

Focus, Emma.

"Sure, love," Killian nodded, scooting closer to her. He sensed her hesitation, the nerves that had gathered within her, and gave her a comforting smile. It wasn't like they'd instantly become a lovey-dovey couple now. They might have kissed, but Killian knew that for now, he'd have to be happy with that. Baby steps.

"Okay... well, I'm just warning you that I didn't have a lot of time... it's not really my best, but it's all I could do with what I had.." Emma rambled nervously, even slightly embarrassed. She felt stupid now that she was actually giving him the gift. He probably wouldn't like it. Emma swallowed thickly as she handed him the thin gift, her heart beating quickly.