• Chapter 20 •

Why

Why

Why

Why

Why?!

She didn't get it. She'd tried to think of a better reason of why, but nothing came to mind. She supposed he just... didn't want her there.

Why did he say she had plans the night of the game? It had been gnawing at her for the past couple days. Game night was approaching, slowly but surely, and Emma still hadn't asked him.

They were sitting on his bed. Killian was reading a book while Emma had all kinds of work splayed out everywhere as she tried to get everything done. Killian was already a week ahead on his assignments.

Emma was more like a week behind.

She ran her hands through her hair in frustration. Stress was eating her alive. Even with Killian answering any and all of her questions, it was all still so stupidly difficult.

Killian glanced up from his book for a moment. He watched as Emma rubbed the bridge of her nose. Rubbed her eyes. Repeatedly ran her hands quickly through her hair. Turned pages roughly.

"Em," Killian said softly.

Emma closed her eyes. Her head was pounding.

"Yeah?"

"Take a break," Killian suggested, reaching for her hand. Emma pulled it away before he could grab it and pulled out a notebook.

"I can't," she mumbled. "Too much to do, I'll never get it done."

"But, love, if you don't take a break, you're just going to exhaust yourself. Give your brain a rest, and come back in half an hour or so refreshed. You'll work much better, I assure you," Killian tried.

Emma let out a frustrated breath.

"Okay, thanks for the psychology lesson, but I have work to do."

Killian raised his eyebrows at her reaction. She'd never snapped at him like that before. That was new.

"I'm gonna work in my room," Emma said quietly. She gathered her overwhelming amount of materials in her arms and left.

Okay, no. That was new. She had never up and left his company before. What was going on?

Confused, Killian set his book aside and got up to follow her. When he tried to open the door, it was locked.

"Emma?" Killian called, knocking.

"I'm trying to work."

Killian frowned.

"Please let me in."

He could hear the annoyed sigh that escape her lips. Moments later, the door opened. Emma forced a smile.

"What?" She asked.

"Are you... okay?" he asked, concerned.

Emma scoffed. Was he serious?

"I'm great," she said, not even close to meaning it. She walked away from him and to the desk where she now had her work laid out.

Okay. That was definitely not normal.

"Are you mad at me?"

"No."

...What?!

"Did someone do something to you?" Killian questioned again.

"No."