Chapter 9: A Foretelling

There might be some answers this time around, but I guess you'll have to think about it. Do enjoy Chapter 9!

Chapter 9

A Foretelling

Wingull chirped in the ocean breeze, filling the active city with their cries. The waters lapped at the docks and the site of the large object that was the landmark of the city. Some people, citizens and tourists alike, were looking at it, enthralled by its shimmering purple hue in the light of the day. Aidan merely stood, staring up at it with a frown.

"An unexpected meeting at an unexpected place," a voice said from behind him. Aidan grimaced at the sound of it; he knew that voice far too well, but hated the thought of hearing it, even if not the man to whom it belonged. "I was surprised you contacted me, Aidan of ARC."

"I'd have rather not," Aidan barked out, his gruff voice causing some teenagers nearby to recoil from it. They all leaned in and whispered to ignore him, shuffling far away from the blond as some of their words revealed snippets of news in the wider world. Their retreat suited him just fine. He was happier with more space and secrecy, especially in these dark and troubling times. That didn't mean he was happy with the man standing behind him, to the point that he refused to turn in his direction. "Only that your leads may be the best leads at this moment."

"I haven't done excess research in years...not since Alola. You know that," his new companion spoke, the sound of footsteps indicating his imminent approach.

"And if I know him, you didn't stop just because you chose to return home after meeting your daughter. I somehow can't see you as the doting house husband," Aidan snapped, and he finally turned his head. The man was chuckling, coming to stand next to him. When Aidan's head finally turned, he got his first good look at the man, though it wasn't quite who he had remembered, for better or worse.

"True enough...I can't seem to stay away. No wonder my daughter married the man she did," Y chuckled out further. It annoyed Aidan immensely. At first, he thought it was because the man looked just like their ever-mortal adversary, Michael (save for the fact that he was, in fact, dead). However, looking at him now, Aidan realized it had nothing to do with that rather unfortunate connection, but more that this version behaved more like Lionel. It made the blond's face tauten as he glared at the man. "You can drop the glare. I'm not going to hurt you. Besides, if the rumors are true, you've all but eliminated my counterpart's poison from the world."

"All but," Aidan agreed. There was always the possibility of yet another poisonous sac of Michael's waiting out there somewhere, and it was just a matter of finding it, if there was one. Not that there was time right now. "And I have no fear of that. How many years has it been, and you've not taken an action in that time?"

"Well, that's not entirely true," Y said, his voice losing its humored edge. His eyes were dead set, staring at the Anistar Sundial as he considered things. "I'm a researcher at heart, always looking to move the pieces."

"And what pieces have you been moving lately?" Aidan asked of him, adjusting his bent glasses a bit.

"Not enough," was the response. The honey blonde sighed out, now looking up to the blue sky. "The League has been on top of so many things these days. From researchers like Gary Oak and Burnet studying the various dimensions, to Champions Cynthia and Steven examining ruins, while your own organization looks for ancient artifacts...there's not much left to find in this day and age.

"It's almost as if an era is coming to an end. Officially, this time."

"That's a scary thought," Aidan agreed. Y shrugged and refused to make a further comment, letting Aidan's thoughts draw inward once more. Was the end of an era on the horizon? Had Lionel's death been a sign of that? If it was, the man wasn't sure he wanted it to be. Every "end" always seemed to be brought about with more death and more sacrifice. Lionel was the beginning, but how many more would there be? His son? Aidan shook the oppressive thought from his head. "Then, do you mind sharing what you have been looking into?"